arrggg....need help/advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71coupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang
Well...I finally got my 302 installed, but I forgot to install the transmission dipstick tube BEFORE I installed the motor and tranny. So, now I'm having a heck of a time trying to put the tube back on! I don't want to pull the motor out again!!!

It just seems that the tube is to long...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow mustang owners.

Are you sure you have the right tube? I am assumming you have a C4. There are two differant tubes I think.
I have an FMX tranny. I think....just a wild guess...but, I think the tranny guy who rebuilt it...lost the original tube and gave me a C4 tube. But, I was told by the tranny guy that the C4 and FMX tubes are different length and that I could not put a C4 tube in.

This is what I was thinking of doing:

Cut the tube...down by where it goes into the tranny.

Put the cut tube in.

Then put it back together with rubber hose and clamp it on both ends.

So technically, the tube will be the same length..just using the hose to essentially hold it together.

Your thoughts...ideas??

Transmission fluid level is real touchy. A pint off will make things slip and then you have to pull the pan to drain it off. Unless you install a drain plug which I HIGHLY recommend during a filter/fluid change. Get the right tube and dipstick don't risk it. JMHO

Transmission fluid level is real touchy. A pint off will make things slip and then you have to pull the pan to drain it off. Unless you install a drain plug which I HIGHLY recommend during a filter/fluid change. Get the right tube and dipstick don't risk it. JMHO
+1 Chuck

Maybe someone with a FMX currently out of the car can give us the length? Then compare with C4?

Length measurement should be with string / tape from top to bottom following curves.

Back