ASAP: Needing a fab shop between Columbia, SC and Rockingham, NC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Long story short. As i am in the Hot Rod Power Tour today the bracket that holds my clutch cable cracked and bent which left me without clutch. Luckily it was as i was coming into the venue. With the help of friends from Colorado we made a temp fix. They even found a local shop to welded but cracked again. Right now the temp fix is working but I will feel more comfortable if a weld shop or fabricator would help me to reinforce the bracket. Ideally it will have to be on Wednesday. I guess today since i am writing this at 12:45am. Long day. Any pointers to a good shop in the way will be helpful.

Attachments

• 20230613_193200.jpg
    20230613_193200.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230613_193215.jpg
    20230613_193215.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Is that the full picture of the bracket? Basically an L shape with 2 holes in it? And you want some sort of triangle gussets to strengthen the part where it bends?

That doesn't look like a hard part to make, even a midas muffler shop could knock that part out pretty quick.

Is that hole the mount or the cable hole? If it's the mount, can you put a heavy washer on it to provide some clamping support?

That looks like the old MDL bracket. Mine did the same thing. They have a new version available. Much more sturdy. I know this doesn't help right now but might want to contact them so it is waiting for you when you get home.

That looks like the old MDL bracket. Mine did the same thing. They have a new version available. Much more sturdy. I know this doesn't help right now but might want to contact them so it is waiting for you when you get home.
If this is an off-the-shelf part, american powertrain does have a list of installers OP would be near that may have one on the shelf.
1686751732457.png

This is our temp fix with a cut wrench. I feel very good about it but i want to start working on a beefier bracket just in case. I stopped at Home Depot and got some heavy duty ones. I just have to find someone in the tour with a grinder and drill to make it fit. I talked to MDL so that's another option. American Powertrain is at the tour so i will talk to then once i get to Rockingham.

Attachments

• 20230614_122947.jpg
    20230614_122947.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I called them and told me that the new bracket has two mounting holes. Does the second one has to be drilled? I just dont have all the tools with me on the road.

I just have to find someone in the tour with a grinder and drill to make it fit.
Which way is the tour touring? I'm an hour west of columbia up I20. You're more than welcome to grind and weld here. :D

I had contacted MDL a week or so ago. They are currently recommending hydraulic clutch setups, and new quotes include an Under-dash master cylinder. I think its the malwood, and MDL is working on their own design.

Thank you everyone for your input. We ended up finding a small shop on the road and they made the bracket. However, the MDL one is not exactly 90 and fits better so i will continue with the jurry rigged version and keep this other as a spare. The fix with the wrench reinforcement is working great. I already talked to MDL and i will order the heavy duty bracket as a permanent fix. Busy day. I need to find time to post some pictures.

Attachments

• 20230614_153048.jpg
    20230614_153048.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230614_152955.jpg
    20230614_152955.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I've been following this saga and so glad you're sort of fixed up and on your way. That must have been as frustrating as hell. Heck it was bad enough when I had a throttle cable break and I was only a mile away from home.
Now hopefully you can relax and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Glad you were able to get operational again pretty quickly. Did you happen to see Emily Compagno run a 13.5 in her '72 Mach 1? The one with flames on the sides. :) She said she was taking part in the HR power tour.

Glad you were able to get operational again pretty quickly. Did you happen to see Emily Compagno run a 13.5 in her '72 Mach 1? The one with flames on the sides. :) She said she was taking part in the HR power tour.
I didn't get to see it. I ran 13.6

Latest posts

Back