Auctions America mutant '71 comes to eBay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
This is the car in question - photos from the consignor from about a year ago when it sold at Auctions America for an unjustified $16,500 ($18,150 w/premiums) in March 2014:

2zntr9w.jpg

It has reappeared in Lakeland (by a familiar, questionable seller) on eBay, apparently with the hopes that the slapped-on, argent Mach 1 decals will do something for it:

2qlbam9.jpg

The auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Coupe-Outstanding-just-23-441-miles-1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-tribute-best-to-be-found-/331450627355?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d2bff351b&item=331450627355&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Given the interest in this glossed-over heap, I feel it's necessary to bring a few things back into public light for anyone who may be bidding, or is considering doing so:

First off: A clean car this is NOT. It's had a hell of a spit-shine done to it. Following are my comments from March, just to reiterate:

• Cowl hat rotted through!
  • 4-wheel drums! Way to go to create a "ideal entry-level collectible or cruise night car." NOT.
  • Replacement headliner installed like crap; wrinkles everywhere
  • Fake Clarion Knit (Deluxe) seat covers
  • Console being held down by half the screws necessary to hold it down
  • LH quarter had a small hole in it at the dropoff edge
  • Non-original Competition Orange should have been called "Competition Orange Peel"
  • Rear window was tinted jet black ages ago and was scratched beyond belief.
  • Left inner C-pillar headliner extension was falling in
  • Front window was a new replacement
  • Charcoal canister line missing, along with the air cleaner fitting (they left the hole, and that was it)
  • Passenger inner quarter armrests were from another car and had been sprayed with flaking gloss black paint - strangely enough, the upper door panels remained the proper satin/flat black.
  • Front upper window molding had not been installed right, and had pulled out from under the RH A-pillar molding
  • Bodyside tu-tone stripe/pinstripe divider continued across the side of the valance, despite the presence of the vinyl stripe under the marker light - creating a dual-pinstripe look.
  • Rough metal visible around obvious Bondo spot on taillight panel.
  • Like the silver car, the hood had been patched. You could see the Bondo easily on this one.
  • Neither fenders nor trunk were wearing "Mustang" badging, suggesting repop '73 fenders and trunk lid.

Since then, it looks as if the wheels were swapped, those laughable (with black tu-tone, it is!) argent Mach 1 decals added, and someone removed that terrible black window tinting it had on it. Other than that however, it's the same rolling project car it was last year.

Furthermore, this is NOT a 23,000 mile car. The Florida title may show it as such, but a 5-digit odometer in this state is considered to be exempt due to being "...in excess of it's mechanical limits." A car could have 123,000 miles on it - so long as it's a 5-digit odometer, Florida will still consider it a 23,000 mile car. Heck, it could be a 523,000 mile car. Doesn't make a lick of difference.

There. Rant over.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
And then there's the rear spoiler...

Wow....! :(

Lots of things wrong there.

Two things though: The absence of badging does not necessarily mean "repro fenders".

I've had mine removed and the holes filled for looks.

Second: I really like the color!!!

And of course there IS the rear spoiler. :D

It sure appears to be a '73 dog-house on a '71 body. Not uncommon for these old war-ponies to have been "kept up" using parts repurposed from other crapped-out glue-nags. ("I wasn't talking about you, Ol'Boots...I promise!")

As pointed out, there are many "deviations" from stock, and plenty of less-than-spectacular details and such.

But, I don't think it should put anyone off the car, as long as they know what they are really looking at. Definitely a case of "buyer beware" for this one.

And what is wrong with the rear spoiler?

Wow....! :(

Lots of things wrong there.

Two things though: The absence of badging does not necessarily mean "repro fenders".

I've had mine removed and the holes filled for looks.

Second: I really like the color!!!

And of course there IS the rear spoiler. :D
Good point about the fenders, Lux - after all, it could be the results of a cheap re-clip by someone who didn't care whether they were building a '71 or a '73.

It's not a bad color in person, but the look is ruined when you see it in person and all the flaws become evident.

It sure appears to be a '73 dog-house on a '71 body. Not uncommon for these old war-ponies to have been "kept up" using parts repurposed from other crapped-out glue-nags. ("I wasn't talking about you, Ol'Boots...I promise!")

As pointed out, there are many "deviations" from stock, and plenty of less-than-spectacular details and such.

But, I don't think it should put anyone off the car, as long as they know what they are really looking at. Definitely a case of "buyer beware" for this one.
Hehe! The engine still retains '71 part numbers throughout, so if this car had a front-ender, it didn't get significantly close to the bits under the hood.

Maybe it shouldn't put anyone off the car, but I don't understand why it continues to bring so much. Granted, someone spent a heck of a vaccuming the interior and steam cleaning the rest for the eBay auction, but it still isn't material for over 10 grand. It's a quickly thrown together car with a presentable paint job.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, not backwards. That spoiler is mounted correctly...if maybe just a tad ( which is slightly more than a scosche) too far rearward...

Back