Aussie Cobra

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Fastback
The Aussies on here will get this one but just thought I would share our newest addition. The car is a 1978 XC Falcon Cobra coupe.

Ford produced these as a runout to use up 400 bodies they felt would be excess when the new model was released in 1979, an initiative put forward by Edsell, MD Ford Australia at that point in time. 200 were built with Cleveland 351's and 200 with 302's with varying specs.

It's estimated that only 200-250 of the 400 originally produced still remain, so I am pretty excited to have one sitting in my shed.

A little work to do to tidy the car up but in general it's a pretty good matching numbers example with 351, FMX tranny and 9" dif.

image.jpeg

Wow! What a great addition to your garage. I always liked the look of those Falcon's, especially the Cobra models. The roofline reminds of my 70 Torino GT. If you ever get tired of it or decide it's in your way, just send it to me! :D

You guys have some cool cars down under. I offered one of my convertibles to someone for a 1950 UTI once. Would love to get one here then switch to L.H. drive. People would go crazy trying to figure out where it came from. The 50 Fords here had the form details in the floor pan for the access hole for the master cylinder. Dashes were just mirror.

Very nice. Do you have more pics?

Thanks everyone, we are pretty proud right now. I will get some more pics posted up.

Luke the car was originally sold in Brissie. We found it in Grafton.
Ok when I lived in Tas for awhile a bloke had a cobra with Simmons in Devonport thought it could of been the same car. Enjoy mate

Got a soft spot for the Falcons you guys were able to buy. Drove a John Goss Special that a friend over here has. Nothing quite like driving a car that everyone *almost* recognizes...but don't....and its right hand drive. It was white with the blue and orange so I'd tell people it was an old postal vehicle for delivering mail out west.

This one , in fact.

4jul04-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a soft spot for the Falcons you guys were able to buy. Drove a John Goss Special that a friend over here has. Nothing quite like driving a car that everyone *almost* recognizes...but don't....and its right hand drive. It was white with the blue and orange so I'd tell people it was an old postal vehicle for delivering mail out west.

This one , in fact.
Nice. They're increasing in price rapidly at the moment. In fact all of the Aussie hard tops have taken a bit of a hike of late. I'm predicting that when Ford Australia stops production they will continue to spike.

The Goss specials came in either green / white or blue / white.

It's rough, but a fun car. It was almost cut up for parts before my friend bought it. It's probably worth three times what he paid for it 12 years ago.

The black smudging on the fender (guard) is John Goss's autograph.

It shares chassis/body structure engineering with the mid to late 60's Fairlanes, near as I can tell. In my opinion, has better proportions than the 70-71 Torinos.

Very cool car, and with a mildly-built 302 or 351 in there I'm thinking it really would "haul the mail" as they say. ;) Never having seen one in person, it looks larger than the US Mustang II, and perhaps around the size of the US Maverick?

Actually, bigger than you'd think, it's about as long as a 71-71 Mustang and as wide as a 68-69 Fairlane/Torino. Some pics for comparison.

Mustang-Falcon.jpg

Mustang-Falcon2.jpg

yellow-mustang-and-xb-coupe.jpg

Thanks for the comparison photos, not at all what I expected to see. That Aussie version would sure turn some heads here in the states, but then again so does a nicely-restored '71 to '73 US Mustang. heh I always think of the '71 to '73 Mustang as being a larger car, with reference to '68 and older Mustangs. But I believe the new Mustang is even a little larger and/or wider than the '71 to '73 models! One of the forum members bought a new GT I believe a number of months ago, and there were comparison images from his garage.

Latest posts

Back