Austin Vert Buys New Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's really no comparison - The General Lee was just a superior car in that it was built [intentionally] as a race car. The Tomato - still pretty much a passenger car with some hop-ups and performance goodies.

The big difference in handling is that the General has 60-series tires on 15" rims... where the Tomato has much narrower 50-series tires on 15" rims. Big difference in handling just in the rims & tires alone - less sidewall flex usually means more grip. Ford disc brakes have always been better than Mopar's as well. The General is also missing its roll bar, weight savings of about 100 lbs or so.

The girl driving knows how to drive, but not a lot about the cars... or the shows they were such a big part of. Boss Hogg never really chased the Duke Boys... it was usually either Rosco, Enos, Cletus, or the Bad Guys of the Week... rarely Boss Hogg, though.

Neat video... not trying to be stickler, just making observations.

No worries. I thought it was neat to see both cars compared in such a manner: each with the same driver with both runs super-imposed to look like a real race. That eliminates the 'which driver is better' question as well as keeps both cars out of risk of being damaged in the making.

I appreciate and enjoy when people do things like this. I just wish that if they're going to do it, go all the way and do it right by getting the details correct - both on the cars as well as their stories. That way, people like me won't notice the shortfalls and make comments about them later. ;)

Greg, I love the wheels! The old slots are very muscular looking with the 50's on them. I wonder if a set of 325/50's would fit in the wells, with 6" backspacing. If those slots had spinner caps on them, I think my jaw might hit the floor...
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the good rap! Glad you like them. The 325's will be too big i would think, and wouldn't fit in the wells without rub problems. You would have to start modifying the body to make that happen. Yeah, spinner caps do look cool. Was thinking of putting them on, but thought the whole setup might look a bit too showy.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Back