Austin Vert Gets Rattled

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to All,

Got a few questions here for all the members. Lately i've noticed that when driving around normally, i'm getting rattling noises from inside my driver's side door on my '73 convertible. I have not pulled down my door pad yet to investigate as to what's going on inside, but to me logically, i suspect it would be the door lock button connecting rod moving around, and also the window winding mechanism rattleing around also.

So has anybody found that they have had similar rattle noise problems with their Mustangs, and if yes, what steps did you take to remedy the noises.

I assume the passengers side door would be the same in my case. Also, does anybody get similar noises from the seats when driving around. Lastly, for the convertible crowd, do you get any squeaks or rattle noises coming from the convertible foof frame,when you're driving around and the top is closed and locked. These noises are not the end of the world, but they are annoying, and detract from the quality and the enjoyment of the car.

Anyone's help and feedback would be much appreciated for sure.

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
the felt around the pull mechanism wears ant that will make a racket. The repop ones are not as good as the originals, but you can use a hole punch and a piece of wool and a bit of glue to reair your old ones from underneath once the door panel is removed (or on a standard interior the top panel.

I have had the panel vibrate from the two screws slowly stripping out the holes over the last 40 years. I just glued the holes shut with epoxy and let it cure and drilled a little pilot hole to start the screw-bam!-fixed for the next 15 years!

You might need to replace worn window felts and if you find any place where linkages appear to be rattling, wrap them in a bit of self fusing silicone tape.broken I also found some upholstery clips laying in the door on one side.

Hi Folks,

I had hoped for a bigger response to my post, with other members experiences or advice, but not to worry, as when it comes to squeaks and rattles, i guess you really have to track them down one by one and do what ever you can to eliminate the problems. Some times i know the really persistant ones never get fixed because they are so hard to find and fix.

Never mind, that's the joys of owning an old car i guess.:rolleyes:

I"ll turn my hearing aids up a little louder next time I go for a drive and see if there are any rattles! :D

I had to adjust the window felts that put pressure on the glass to stop a rattle, never noticed the lock mechanism rattling or the top squeaking.

I've been focusing on my doors these past few weekends, and I can honestly say the only things in there [i believe] can rattle are:

• window regulators (if the plastic keepers work their way out or the felts get too squished)
  • the rod from the inside door handle to the latch mechanism (there's a big piece of foam in there to prevent such rattles)
  • the door lock rod (there's nothing besides the door panel grommet to keep it from rattling)
  • the undercoating material falling off and collecting in the bottom of the doors

My money's on the regulators and/or door felts if the rattles are more persistent with the windows down. Windows up, the door latch rods.

Yup - gonna hafta pull the door panels to know for sure.

Hope that helps!

Hi Greg,

I have the same issue. It can be various things. Eric has made a good list.

Once it was the chrome inner door handle that came loose and rattled. It could also be something with either the door locks or the window mechanism.

They all make different sounds, so I usually know when it´s time to re-tighten the screws on my door handle. :)

If it comes from the window mechanism you can try and move the window up or down a bit (1/2 cm or so) and see if it stops. Sometimes when the rattling starts, I´ll just tap the window motor switch a little and the window will shift and the rattling stops. It will come back after a while but sometimes it helps.

I´m just too lazy to pull the door panels (again), so I wait for something else to fail so I have 2 reasons to pull them . :)

Another remedy I have found is that when I step on the throttle just hard enough, the exhaust noise will overpower the rattling. It´s both effective and fun. :)

Does anyone use Loctite on these problem areas. On my Sportster it would be missing half the parts without a dab of Loctite on the areas that tend to loosen.

Thanks Mike,

Thats good advice. Seems like you've got the rattles as well. Yes, pulling down the door cards is a real pain in tha A. I'll wait as well for a real good excuse.:)

Ralph,

Loctite could be a good solution to stop nuts that eventually loosen. Thanks for that.

I had the same issue with my 73 vert. Pull the panel. You'll find a couple fasteners have worked loose. My issue was a loose fastener for the clip that secures the rod that is part of the latch operation located in the middle of the door. You can also determine if it's window related by putting tension on the glass when it's upright.

I know a guy who had a 69 Mach 1, and it developed a "tinkle" that drove him nuts. Turns out his son buried a small bell inside the frame rail of the car as a prank.

Back