Autolite 2100 2 barrel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Just removed the Autolite 2100 2 barrel carb from my 73 Mustang with a 351 C V8. It will be rebuilt before replacing. My question is .... when I removed the carb there is a thick black (spacer)? under the carb which looks reuseable. Under this spacer between the spacer and actual intake is a another elongated metal (gasket)? accesory which extends out to the rear of the carb app. 6 inches. At the back of this is some type of vacumn diaghram or switch. What is this and what does it do ? It does not appear that there was any type of gasket between this accesory and the intake manifold ... should there be and if so what type ? thanks very much.

steve

I believe what you are talking about is the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system. It is part or the emissions systems for 73 where some exhaust gas was recirculated back to be burned again in an attempt to provide a more complete burn of the exhaust gas. That is a vacuum switch that controls when and how much of the exhaust is allowed back to be burned again. One of the pitfalls that I found was the gas passages became plugged very easily and you needed to remove the carb to get to these passages on the manifold carbs base plate to keep them clean and the system working. Yes you can reuse that spacer as it also serves as a heat shield for the carb to keep the engine heat from boiling the fuel in the bowl. These are the gaskets that I think that you are asking about.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/fpr/ES70582/image/8/

I believe what you are talking about is the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system. It is part or the emissions systems for 73 where some exhaust gas was recirculated back to be burned again in an attempt to provide a more complete burn of the exhaust gas. That is a vacuum switch that controls when and how much of the exhaust is allowed back to be burned again. One of the pitfalls that I found was the gas passages became plugged very easily and you needed to remove the carb to get to these passages on the manifold carbs base plate to keep them clean and the system working. Yes you can reuse that spacer as it also serves as a heat shield for the carb to keep the engine heat from boiling the fuel in the bowl. These are the gaskets that I think that you are asking about.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/fpr/ES70582/image/8/
Thanks very much !

Back