Automatic trans radiator with a manaul trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

well i just replaced my steering box with a rock auto one and the rag joint and i'm pretty sure why it started leaking is because i have my headers so close to the steering box and i didn't use a steering cooler.

i bought a tiny little external cooler but i started thinking that i am not using the radiator trans cooler at the moment. so would this be a better option to cool the power steering fluid in the radiator instead?

regardless i'll need more higher pressure hoses. i have plenty of -6 hoses but don't know how strong the power steering fluid psi is.

any kind of cooler will work better than none of course, especially when my headers was making the steering box hot and it finally started leaking. i got to get this done before the old freshened up 460 goes back in.

Plumb it using the return line from the box, to the cooler, to the remote aux. cooler, to the pump.

Minimal pressure on that side, only volume.

Good idea there, Olie. I have never, ever heard of a case where steering or trans fluid was too cold to function properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of 60s and 70s Fords of all kinds had a 2 pass tube and fin PS cooler on them from the factory. It seems to me it would do a better job than a steel line in 180 degree+ coolant. There are at least 3 different ones used on 71-73 Mustangs alone. A trip to the salvage yard could be worth it.

A homemade sheet metal heat shield for the box may help if you have room to install/remove it. Chuck

I've done a couple of PS fluid flushes in the past few years. My '94 SHO, '97 Sable wagon, my 5.0 plus others... and I believe most if not all had some sort of (questionably efficient) OE cooling loop on them. Mileage was all around 100K+. Each one of them had burned, and I mean black stanky coffee colored fluid. Probably should have been done by the 50K mark. These stock systems must generate a hellacious amount of heat by themselves without any outside (header) help.

Check your own daily driver fluid, you may be surprised like I was.

I've even seen PS fluid filters available that plumb into the return line. Probably not a bad idea to keep the shiny chunks at bay.

The bigger cooler the better, more the merrier IMO. Can't go wrong. NASCAR and roadrace cars have coolers for EVERYthing...

I've done a couple of PS fluid flushes in the past few years. My '94 SHO, '97 Sable wagon, my 5.0 plus others... and I believe most if not all had some sort of (questionably efficient) OE cooling loop on them. Mileage was all around 100K+. Each one of them had burned, and I mean black stanky coffee colored fluid. Probably should have been done by the 50K mark. These stock systems must generate a hellacious amount of heat by themselves without any outside (header) help.

Check your own daily driver fluid, you may be surprised like I was.

I've even seen PS fluid filters available that plumb into the return line. Probably not a bad idea to keep the shiny chunks at bay.

The bigger cooler the better, more the merrier IMO. Can't go wrong. NASCAR and roadrace cars have coolers for EVERYthing...
Well that can be said for any fluid on any car. I don't care what size cooler you use. It still gets hot and heat wears out all fluids. Transmission fluid, brake fluid, PS fluid, coolant, engine oil, gear oil etc. It doesn't stay clean forever. Actually you want it to get a little dirty because than shows the cleaning agents in the oils are doing their job, you just have to change the fluid out just like you change engine oil just not as often. Granted there are people out there that have never changed anything besides their engine oil. Like he said go pop the hood on any 75k-100k miles car in your driveway, you will be surprised how dirty your fluids are.

Back