Weird hydraulic swoosh sound

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi everyone.
Ive asked a couple members for there thoughts on this problem and Ive followed up with there suggestions. I still have the problem and was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion?

I installed a wood steering wheel and I believe after doing so, I get a swoosh sound transmitting up the steering column radiating the sound into the cab. When I turn the wheel left or right about half its travel distance before the steering stop.
The sound is defiantly the swoosh of hydraulic fluid from the power steering.
I installed a new rebuilt redhead gear box O.E, a rebuilt O.E power steering pump. and New belt. Pump is full when hot. No leaks. The assembly has about 2k miles on it now and never a swoosh sound with the O.E wheel before I installed the new steering wheel.
I loosened the steering nut and re-torqued it to 35 pounds with Loctite. Is that steering wheel nut suppose to have a nylon flat washer? or a steel lock washer?

Stupid noise is driving me nuts every time I drive the car.
Any suggestions? I appreciate . Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• steering wheel 3.jpg
    steering wheel 3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • steering wheel 2.jpg
    steering wheel 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • steering wheel 4.jpg
    steering wheel 4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • steering wheel 1.jpg
    steering wheel 1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
If the PS system was not making a weird noise before, then I would have to think it's the new wheel rubbing on something at the column.
It's either that or a total coincidence that the pump is now making a noise. Could be some air in the system somehow or the pump starting to go bad.
Make sure the new s wheel is good first and go from there.
Annoying for sure, good luck.

Is there suppose to be a lock washer or flat nylon washer that goes on the steering wheel column nut?
Ive applied tool maker dye to the wheel hub and column attachment. I'll run it a few days and see if it leaves a witness mark from any rubbing.

Last edited:
No lock washer, the nut should be self locking. Not really sure the exact name for it.
I could see where it was rubbing by just turning the wheel back and forth.
Anybody know the size and thread on that nut? mine isnt self locking for sure.
Jpaz, I couldn't see any spots where it was rubbing. Thats why I applied the tool maker dye to leave a witness mark.

Last edited:
Back