Bad Feeling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible

08 Bullet
Hey guys,

Need to get everyone's opinion.

Today I took the vert out and this is the first time I've had to put the top up since I took it out of storage.

I hit the button for the top and it moved just a little maybe an inch or so. I needed the top up in a hurry so my son held the switch for me and and I lifted the top into place.

So what do you think it could be, just remember I haven't looked at the fluid level or anything as I had to take the car down to storage after I had new tires put on.

Thanks

K

Sounds like it's low on fluid. Check the lines and cylinders. may be a loose fitting. Easy fix.

-Travis

Like Travis said. If the pump is running and it don't go up, It propbibly is low on fluid. Lines and such.

as the above stated, you are low on fluid.

Remove the back seat, and then on the pump remove the rubber cover and check the level.

if you need to add some use ATF fluid, and run it up and down to bleed the air out of the system.

do that with the car running or it will kill the battery.

Might have blown an o ring seal on a lift cylinder causing....a leak...pull the back seat and see if you have fluid on the floor. Not worth re-building. Get new.

Thing is, if you blow one side usually the top will go up kind of crooked. If it's the main pump, gonna be kinda pricy.

Other option is cracked line. They get pretty brittle after awhile. A leak like that will be messy.

BTW: for our years, the worst thing to do is leave the top down for an extended period of time. It will create permanent creases / wrinkles in the vinyl and it may shrink the top to the point so it cannot fully engage into the front keepers. One summer I left my top down for 2 1/2 months....worse decision I ever made re: convertible top... creases and fissures that will not come out after 4 years....

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: for our years, the worst thing to do is leave the top down for an extended period of time. It will create permanent creases / wrinkles in the vinyl and it may shrink the top to the point so it cannot fully engage into the front keepers. One summer I left my top down for 2 1/2 months....worse decision I ever made re: convertible top... creases and fissures that will not come out after 4 years...

Excellent advice Bill,

that's the one thing you never do with the ragtops - keep'em down.

Can't add anything more from what the boys have said already Ken, except C J Pony does a tutorial video on their website to do with this problem.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/convertible-top-hydraulic-cylinder-lh-or-rh-1971/p/CTHC2/

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back