best carb for 73 351c q-code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdn_73mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 351 c, 4 spd - medium copper metalic, standard interior
I am looking to replace my stock 4300 carb on a 73 351c q code engine. Have been having lots of flooding issues.

My question is what would be a good choice. If possible I would like to be able to add the ram-air on in the future so if anyone knows what aftermarket carbs will work with the stock intake and ram air that would help alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing Else will work work with the factory intake. The 4300 is an odd duck. A dual plane aluminum square bore intake with a Holley 4150 between 600 and 750 CFM (depending on cam profile) should be close enough to work with the Ram Air set up. You may need to lift the air cleaner with a spacer.

A single plane intake will likely be too high to work with the ram air.

Stockish motor... get the performer 351 4V.
Pony Carbs does a great job on rebuilding these Carbs if you want to stay original. It'll be better than when it went out the FORD plant door.... No looking for any issues whether it fits or not then

Thanks for some different options. I heard about an adapter plate. What I am thinking is I could switch the carb with adapter plate for now and if I want to add the ram air then I could swap out the intake for a dual plane square bore. Will check out the performer 351 4v.

I saw the pony carbs web site recently but have not been able to find it now. I was originally trying to stay with the original carb. Last night I looked up the code on the carb D0pf AG and realized that it is a 1970 carb not 73. From what I have read this means it is the smaller cfm 4300A, 600cfm, not the 4300D 715 cfm that it should be. Does this sound right?

Thanks for some different options. I heard about an adapter plate. What I am thinking is I could switch the carb with adapter plate for now and if I want to add the ram air then I could swap out the intake for a dual plane square bore. Will check out the performer 351 4v.

I saw the pony carbs web site recently but have not been able to find it now. I was originally trying to stay with the original carb. Last night I looked up the code on the carb D0pf AG and realized that it is a 1970 carb not 73. From what I have read this means it is the smaller cfm 4300A, 600cfm, not the 4300D 715 cfm that it should be. Does this sound right?
I have a "Trans-Dapt 2199" square carb to motorcraft speadbore carb adapter. It worked surprisingly well. I used an edlebrock 750 on it and throttle response seemed vastly superior to the 4300. I just switched from the stock intake to the RPM-Air gap manifold and no longer have a use for it. It can be yours if the price is right. 30.00+shipping.

Did you check the manifold too? It mite be a matching set up pulled from a 1970's..Which would not be a bad deal..The thing is the 1973 q code had a erg plate and a channel milled out on top of the manifold...Makes it hard to match up other carbs...I know this for a fact..Cause i changed my q code carb out and ended up having to buy a new manifold for it....And i even got a speadbore adaptor and still..I could tell the adaptor was not a good fix...The way the old manifold is made."wide spreadbore" even with the adaptor plate it would mess with the flow a little ...If you are not going to keep your original carb on a 1973 Q jet...I would recomend buying a 4v manifold replacement from edelbrock..That will fit any carb you want with out such issues and monkey rigging you dont wanna do..Will save you alot of heart ache that i went threw.....Plus the edelbrock manifold will work with stock ram air units.

And yes that carb is a bit smaller than original for your q jet..Original 4300 is 715 or 716 cfm..I have to addmit my 4300d had a much better responce than my edelbrock 600cfm i put on as a replacement...and it was the tuned up 600 manual choke...But it did work decent.....Im going up too holley 750 thou.

I am looking to replace my stock 4300 carb on a 73 351c q code engine. Have been having lots of flooding issues...
Been there bro. On my 71, I went with the Edelbrock performer intake and Edlebrock thunder series carb, worked with my ram air system and huge improvement over the old 4300 set up, especially reliability. I believe your 73 may have a smog related plate under the carb that my 71 doesn't have that will need to be taken into consideration from the height aspect.

Jim

Pony Carbs is no more. Owner died and place closed about a year or so ago. They did do a great job though.

I am looking to replace my stock 4300 carb on a 73 351c q code engine. Have been having lots of flooding issues...
Been there bro. On my 71, I went with the Edelbrock performer intake and Edlebrock thunder series carb, worked with my ram air system and huge improvement over the old 4300 set up, especially reliability. I believe your 73 may have a smog related plate under the carb that my 71 doesn't have that will need to be taken into consideration from the height aspect.

Jim
Plus Jim...They milled a EGR groove into the manifold its self...So you cant just simply remove the plate and put the carb back with out the silly ERG plate....Been there done that...Only way to make a 73 cj manifold work with another carb is too fill in the ERG spot with some puddy..Then get adaptor plate that will let you bolt on dif carbs...Best and easiest way is just to pick up a stock 4 barrel manifold from a 71-72 mustang...Or buy the edelbrock 4v manifold..Which is stock height and i hear works fine with ram air setups....But i have a feeling his original manifold mite of been replaced along with the original carb...That is just a feeling or guess thou..lol

I was playing with puddy and adaptors and everything to get a replacement carb i already paid for to work...After throwing usless money at it..I broke down and got a manifold that would not give me so much hassle.

I got a Edelbrock 351-4V performer manifold and a 670 Holley street Avenger carb for my 72 mach, will be putting in on in the next few days, the motor had a 600cfm Edelbrock carb with an adaptor plate and the Factory manifold.

I have a "Trans-Dapt 2199" square carb to motorcraft speadbore carb adapter. It worked surprisingly well. I used an edlebrock 750 on it and throttle response seemed vastly superior to the 4300. I just switched from the stock intake to the RPM-Air gap manifold and no longer have a use for it. It can be yours if the price is right. 30.00+shipping.
Thanks will definitely keep that in mind.

Jim
Plus Jim...They milled a EGR groove into the manifold its self...So you cant just simply remove the plate and put the carb back with out the silly ERG plate....Been there done that...Only way to make a 73 cj manifold work with another carb is too fill in the ERG spot with some puddy..Then get adaptor plate that will let you bolt on dif carbs...Best and easiest way is just to pick up a stock 4 barrel manifold from a 71-72 mustang...Or buy the edelbrock 4v manifold..Which is stock height and i hear works fine with ram air setups....But i have a feeling his original manifold mite of been replaced along with the original carb...That is just a feeling or guess thou..lol

I was playing with puddy and adaptors and everything to get a replacement carb i already paid for to work...After throwing usless money at it..I broke down and got a manifold that would not give me so much hassle.
I was curious because of the 1970 carb so I checked some other numbers. So here is what I have.

carb

D0PF AG

intake

D0AE-9425-L

engine

D0AE-L

From what I read this is a high compression engine 11.0:1

With this intake does it make it any easier to swap out the carb?

Here's a link that should answer your question.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-carb-swap-options-with-4300a-equipped-m-code-71-351c

Yes it will be easier, see post #7 by our friendly tech advisor.

And, if indeed you did have a '73 manifold with EGR the adaptor WOULD work just fine. :-/

You would leave the EGR plate in place and install the adaptor and carb on top of it, there by sealing the EGR path. The adaptor comes with the studs to do this. The 460 (which the adaptor is advertised for) is set up the same way. If you did not want EGR taking place you would simply unplug it and cap the vacuum hose.

Back