Best Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m from Canada and we use Litres. I use I think it’s 6 Litres per oil change.
Is ACDELCO a good additive? I looked for Lucas
So I have been putting 500 ML per 6L of oil.
You guys r putting 4 oz per 5/6 quarts. Litres and quarts are pretty much the same.
That means I’m putting 17oz’s to your 4. WOW
is that going to reck my freshly rebuilt motor?
I have around 8500 miles and did 4/5 oil changes.

I’m from Canada and we use Litres. I use I think it’s 6 Litres per oil change.
Is ACDELCO a good additive? I looked for Lucas
So I have been putting 500 ML per 6L of oil.
You guys r putting 4 oz per 5/6 quarts. Litres and quarts are pretty much the same.
That means I’m putting 17oz’s to your 4. WOW
is that going to reck my freshly rebuilt motor?
I have around 8500 miles and did 4/5 oil changes.
6 liters? no more like 4.5 -4.75L Cleveland sump is about 5 US quarts (Boss 6 quarts). I buy a jug of Castrol GTX that is 5 L and there's some left over. I assume your car is a 351C not a 302, you don't say.
So as mentioned many times, 4 oz (US oz that is) to 4-5 US quarts, or in simple terms, a 4oz bottle per oil change.
Of interest is this; I looked at my 71 volume 5 manual, pre-delivery, maintenance and lubrication, at oil viscosity by outside temp. It lists below +32f; 5W30, -10 to +90f; 10W40, but shows 10W30 between those two, and above +32f; 20W40

Yes
It is a 351 Cleveland. Unless my aftermarket oil dipstick is incorrect. Looked the same as the old one.

Take this for what it is worth. The link explains zinc and has a chart listing oils and ppm of zinc and phosphorus.
Article by Speedway motors.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-...hart-high-zinc-oil-list-brand-breakdown/32479
Well crap, so much for not using the high zinc oil in catalytic converter engines. Regular Mobile 1 EP is the same as some labelled as "high zinc". What the heck?

P.S. Castrol Classic isn't listed on the chart and has 1,400ppm zinc content.

Last edited:
Well crap, so much for not using the high zinc oil in catalytic converter engines. Regular Mobile 1 EP is the same as some labelled as "high zinc". What the heck?

P.S. Castrol Classic isn't listed on the chart and has 1,400ppm zinc conte
Unfortunately, Castrol is only available as 20W50 and they say no plans for a 10W30 or 10W40, so no good for our climate area.

Take this for what it is worth. The link explains zinc and has a chart listing oils and ppm of zinc and phosphorus.
Article by Speedway motors.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-...hart-high-zinc-oil-list-brand-breakdown/32479
Something to add here to the confusion is that not only the level of zinc is important but the type of zinc additives used. It is a quite complex chemistry that goes on and there are several types of zinc additives so level is not the only factor.

You have to be careful with the additives. In the Oil Performance Report the additive actually reduced the wear protection capability as noted below:

“Oil Extreme concentrate” added to 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 102,059 psi
This oil on its own WITHOUT the “Oil Extreme concentrate” added to it, has a wear protection capability of 105,875 psi. But, with 2.0 OZ of concentrate added per qt, which is the amount intended for racing, its wear protection capability “WENT DOWN 3.6%”.

As a side note, I ran my 97 T-Bird 6cyl on Mobil 1 EP synthetic for 285,000mi with no oil added between oil changes at 10K miles. Also no sludge under the valve covers.

You have to be careful with the additives. In the Oil Performance Report the additive actually reduced the wear protection capability as noted below:

“Oil Extreme concentrate” added to 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 102,059 psi
This oil on its own WITHOUT the “Oil Extreme concentrate” added to it, has a wear protection capability of 105,875 psi. But, with 2.0 OZ of concentrate added per qt, which is the amount intended for racing, its wear protection capability “WENT DOWN 3.6%”.

As a side note, I ran my 97 T-Bird 6cyl on Mobil 1 EP synthetic for 285,000mi with no oil added between oil changes at 10K miles. Also no sludge under the valve covers.
Yep, Mobil 1 (and the other big guys) know how to make motor oil. They don't need us to make it better!

97 T-Bird has roller lifters doesn't need the zinc. But that is a long way to go with no sludge.
Just shows it is better to pay more for good oil.

Back