Bleeding brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

I bit the bullet and replaced the front drums with a LEEDS front disc convertion kit from Summit. All went great and nice and easy to swap out. So just also installed a new master cylinder to suit.

Question, do I need to bleed the master cylinder on a bench first then install it and bleed the system or can I just install the master cylinder and bleed brakes as normal which will also bleed the master cylinder in the process?

cheers

I did door number two and it worked fine. I’m sure you already know this, but remember to do the right rear brake first, then left rear, right front, then left front.

I did door number two and it worked fine. I’m sure you already know this, but remember to do the right rear brake first, then left rear, right front, then left front.
yep, sweet. Thanks for that

Truth is, sometimes you get lucky and have no extra work to do. Other times you will end up with a spongy pedal and take your brake system apart several times to figure it out the proper way is extra work but it also helps narrow down a problem, if there is one. I've done it both ways.

I've been bench bleeding master cylinders since my first Mustang in '89. Never felt the need to change, as I've had good results, and felt that the less air you introduce into the system the better. The only "change" I've made is to use plugs instead of the fitting and hoses the remans came with. One hose would always pop loose mid-stroke and make a huge mess.

A different technique I used was when replacing all the of the brake lines on my 07 Silverado, I used a large plastic syringe to push the new fluid from the calipers up to the master. I had read lots of stories where people had trouble bleeding the ABS systems, so felt this might alleviate any problems. It worked like a champ as I had a firm pedal from the get go, and then bled them normally just for good measure.

Personally I do not like to bench bleed as I do not have a bench vise. I prefer to bolt in the master and use the cheapo hose kit to bleed it on the car using the brake pedal. Same process as bench bleeding just easier for me to do.

I've done both, but find it easier to bench bleed the master. If you get a bad MC, a lot of times, you can find it during the bench bleed.

With ABS, you need a scanner that will toggle the ABS module's valves to get the air out. You can also go for a test drive and slam on the brakes a couple of times, then bleed some more....I found this method to be tedious. A vacuum bleeder is my favorite way....got a cheapo kit from HF that does a good job.

I take the middle ground. You can bench bleed the master cylinder while its in the car. That removes the need for a bench, vice, and manually ramming the rod while its wrapped in a rag or whatever.

The local auto parts store sells a little $12 "bench bleed kit" that has an assortment of plastic threaded nipples. Find the 2 that fit the outlets on your master cylinder. Then use the 2 hoses it comes with to run from the outlets back to the reservoir. Fill it up, pump the brake pedal, and watch for the bubbles to stop.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...ster-cylinder-bleeder-kit-17-piece/348463_0_0

Back