Bob Perkins' 1971 Boss 302 - restored

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video title is technically inaccurate. Shouldn't it correctly be "1 of None"?
I mean, it is a documented, numbered car that never went into production.

The video title is technically inaccurate. Shouldn't it correctly be "1 of None"?
It probably was "Mule" for production assessment. A Mule, not a Pony!

Attachments

• Questions, Questions _ Family Matters.jpeg
    Questions, Questions _ Family Matters.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
It probably was "Mule" for production assessment. A Mule, not a Pony!
Well, that's the thing....if I remember correctly, they found the original G code decal still under the later decal on the door pillar. So it had an official vin and everything. Even the NOS motor (found elsewhere, not original to the car) is a date code correct 1971 Boss 302.
So, a 1 of None, because it was officially made, but never offered or sold as 1971 Boss 302.
Imagine, only the factory could/would re-VIN a Boss into something less valuable?

Well, that's the thing....if I remember correctly, they found the original G code decal still under the later decal on the door pillar. So it had an official vin and everything. Even the NOS motor (found elsewhere, not original to the car) is a date code correct 1971 Boss 302.
So, a 1 of None, because it was officially made, but never offered or sold as 1971 Boss 302.
Imagine, only the factory could/would re-VIN a Boss into something less valuable?
Usually mule car would be crushed after final discissions were made on actual production. This one got away.
As for value, that wasn't a consideration at the time. It would only be about a 3K investment to make the Boss 302 version. All the body panels and the rest of the 71 Mustang had already been made and ready for production.
In my past work, I have worked on mule cars for development of air induction systems.

Usually mule car would be crushed after final discissions were made on actual production. This one got away.
As for value, that wasn't a consideration at the time. It would only be about a 3K investment to make the Boss 302 version. All the body panels and the rest of the 71 Mustang had already been made and ready for production.
In my past work, I have worked on mule cars for development of air induction systems.
That's the thing, it didn't just get away, Ford made an effort to reVIN the car and sold it.
My comment on value was a bit tongue in cheek. But, honestly, they could just as easily have rebuilt it as a Boss 351.

So, some people like cars restored to 'Day One'...just as it left the factory. Some like 'Day Two'....a set of mags, some headers, etc. Some like 'Day 1500' with some side pipes, Skyjackers air shocks, shag carpet on the dash, and some mind-watering airbrush work. Right now mine is like Day 4000, but we won't talk about that.

Would this car be 'Day Minus'?

I wonder what the dash vin reads….
I ALMOST hit the bid button when it was on eBay but the multi VIN situation made me uncertain. Shoulda coulda…..didnt

Not sure if this video has been linked here yet, if not then here it is, if so then here it is again....

Thanks for posting this video. Restored to perfection. Wish the 302 motor would have been ready to start up. Next time, maybe.

I have not watched the video's so this may be mentioned. There was actually a blue 71 Boss 302 that was built with silver stripes. It has not been rediscovered yet. Possibly already recycled if handled in the same manner and believed to be a run of the mill mach 1. I have seen the car several times in person and it is truly a well restored car. Bob has the parts to bring these rare cars back to 100%. Having raided most dealerships in the late 70's early 80's for their NOS muscle car parts inventories for pennies on the dollar.

What a great find and story. The restoration looks perfect. This has to be the holy grail of Ford cars. When I think of how easily this car could have faded in to oblivion without anyone knowing it’s history, it’s sheer luck that the right people came upon this car and especially for the right person to restore it. Priceless!

Back