Boss 351 Bellhousings - early and late

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C Clark

Reaction score
Question for you smart people. I've read here and on mustangtek that the Boss 351 bellhousing is a D1TE-6394-AA and calls out "71 (late) BOSS 351 Mustang". The use of "late 71" wording raised the question as to what was the casting on "early" bellhousing used on the Boss 351? MustangTek even has one of their green check marks beside the "71 (late) BOSS 351 Mustang" which means they've confirmed it someplace.

Attachments

• MustangTek Boss 351 Bellhousing.jpg
    MustangTek Boss 351 Bellhousing.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
Some owners with early-built '71 Mustangs and Torinos with the 351C and four speeds have reported having a C5TZ-6392-B (C5TA-A) bell housing on their vehicles. The '65-72 MPC (Master Parts Catalog) listed the C5TZ-B bell housing for the 1970 model year 351C. Since it has been found on some early built '71s, it was probably an engineering decision to use it until the D1TZ-A version was ready for production use. Since it was a running change, it would be impossible to pinpoint the exact day Ford implemented this change.

The C5TZ-6392-B was service-replaced by the D1TZ-6392-A. The part number for the bell housing changed three more times. The original D1TZ-6392-A (ID# D1TA-AA) was replaced by D1TZ-6392-C (same ID# D1TA-AA), which was replaced a third and final time by D1TZ-6392-D (ID# D1TA-BA). These bell housings were sourced from the 240 and 300-LD (light duty) six-cylinder engines in the 66/ E and F series Ford trucks. The D1TZ bell housings were also used in the 69-79 E and F series trucks with 302s.

Some owners with early-built '71 Mustangs and Torinos with the 351C and four speeds have reported having a C5TZ-6392-B (C5TA-A) bell housing on their vehicles. The '65-72 MPC (Master Parts Catalog) listed the C5TZ-B bell housing for the 1970 model year 351C. Since it has been found on some early built '71s, it was probably an engineering decision to use it until the D1TZ-A version was ready for production use. Since it was a running change, it would be impossible to pinpoint the exact day Ford implemented this change.

The C5TZ-6392-B was service-replaced by the D1TZ-6392-A. The part number for the bell housing changed three more times. The original D1TZ-6392-A (ID# D1TA-AA) was replaced by D1TZ-6392-C (same ID# D1TA-AA), which was replaced a third and final time by D1TZ-6392-D (ID# D1TA-BA). These bell housings were sourced from the 240 and 300-LD (light duty) six-cylinder engines in the 66/ E and F series Ford trucks. The D1TZ bell housings were also used in the 69-79 E and F series trucks with 302s.
Thank you for taking the time for the detailed explanation and facts.

I know the first Boss 351 was made in November 1970, so when do you think a ballpark of a cutover from the C5TZ to D1TZ would have occurred?

In Rick Ybarra's Boss 351 book, he states the early B1's had bellhousing C5TA-6394-A, and the late is D1TA-6392-AA. He is unsure when the switch occurred, but says his with a 135... VIN has the D1 bellhousing. My boss is a 141... VIN, scheduled for build Nov. 16th, actually built Nov.30th, 1970. I have the C5 bellhousing, but my engine/tranny was disassembled and in pieces when I bought the car and the car had been raced, so the bellhousing may have been replaced or the seller may have given me the wrong part.

First, I know nothing of what was or was not in the Boss cars, never had that sort of money to own one, but I have to think logically. A 4 speed was a 4 speed and what did surprise me is the fact that Ford did NOT put the close ratio box in the Boss. That totally does not make sense to me at all. I mean they had a C/R box in the 429, why not in the Boss? ( it should have been standard in the Mach 1 as well!)
Anyway, maybe Steve can add light to this, but really, what engineering changes would there be between the earlier bellhousing and the later one. Afterall, the Cleveland was a brand new engine and considering Ford already had a usable bellhousing and a 4 speed, it was logical to use that bolt pattern. I suppose the depth of the housing might have changed, but I doubt the bolt pattern would.
Also is it not possible that at the casting foundry, they had the patterns for both the C5 housing and the later D1 and assuming there was no other changes, a foundry worker simply used the wrong set of patterns which might explain why later built car had older appearing bellhousings.
Sorry, but this is just how my "Spock" brain works.
As for my own Feb 71 Mach 1 4 speed, I have no idea what the bellhousing number is, I never paid attention to that when the motor was out a couple of times. Perhaps one day I'll look.

In Rick Ybarra's Boss 351 book, he states the early B1's had bellhousing C5TA-6394-A, and the late is D1TA-6392-AA. He is unsure when the switch occurred, but says his with a 135... VIN has the D1 bellhousing. My boss is a 141... VIN, scheduled for build Nov. 16th, actually built Nov.30th, 1970. I have the C5 bellhousing, but my engine/tranny was disassembled and in pieces when I bought the car and the car had been raced, so the bellhousing may have been replaced or the seller may have given me the wrong part.
Appreciate your thoughts and info. Mine was built 3 March so most likely the D1 bellhousing.

First, I know nothing of what was or was not in the Boss cars, never had that sort of money to own one, but I have to think logically. A 4 speed was a 4 speed and what did surprise me is the fact that Ford did NOT put the close ratio box in the Boss. That totally does not make sense to me at all. I mean they had a C/R box in the 429, why not in the Boss? ( it should have been standard in the Mach 1 as well!)
Anyway, maybe Steve can add light to this, but really, what engineering changes would there be between the earlier bellhousing and the later one. Afterall, the Cleveland was a brand new engine and considering Ford already had a usable bellhousing and a 4 speed, it was logical to use that bolt pattern. I suppose the depth of the housing might have changed, but I doubt the bolt pattern would.
Also is it not possible that at the casting foundry, they had the patterns for both the C5 housing and the later D1 and assuming there was no other changes, a foundry worker simply used the wrong set of patterns which might explain why later built car had older appearing bellhousings.
Sorry, but this is just how my "Spock" brain works.
As for my own Feb 71 Mach 1 4 speed, I have no idea what the bellhousing number is, I never paid attention to that when the motor was out a couple of times. Perhaps one day I'll look.
One thing to consider is that the bellhousings were used in other vehicles. There may have been some change to it to fit a different (newer?) chassis, but the change was irrelevant to the Mustang.

One thing to consider is that the bellhousings were used in other vehicles. There may have been some change to it to fit a different (newer?) chassis, but the change was irrelevant to the Mustang.
Could be I suppose. What I do (now) see as a possible difference is the depth of the housing, not the general shape and bolt pattern.

C5TA and the D1TZ bellhousings are both iron. The aluminum bellhousings were only used on the 302 (164 tooth ) and 250-6cyl (157 tooth)

To my eye, there's no discernable difference between the two iron bellhousings. One thing I picked up on in the pics on Mustangtek is the CWC casting mark on the starter pocket of the D1 bell, and the Cleveland Foundry mark on the C5 unit. It may be that Ford shipped the production off to CWC and that necessitated a revision.

CWC is as Campbell, Wyant and Cannon Foundry, Muskegon, Michigan - known today as CWC Textron.

https://www.mustangtek.com/Bellhousings/C5TA-6384-A.html
https://www.mustangtek.com/Bellhousings/D1TA-6384-AA.html

So...the aluminum bells were not judged to be strong enough on anything larger than the 302?

Back