Brake Booster Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrixftw22

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 302, 3 Speed
Hi! I am trying to install the brake booster on my 71 Mach 1 factory manual drum brakes. We have completed the disc brake conversion on the front and now are ready to install the brake booster. We have removed the master cylinder that was originally on it and now see that there are the two holes the master cylinder was threaded into and then two studs below. I have read in some other forums that we might need to drill these studs out. However, our kit instructions say to drill out 4 new holes for the brake booster to be installed. Is this correct?

If so, do we need to remove the bracket holding the pedal that is there now? Any feedback/guidance would be appreciated!

Can you post a pic if those installation instructions regarding the drilling? Usually, when you do a front disc brake conversion, you replace the existing master cyl because the front disc master has a larger brake fluid bowl. Good luck.

If you were converting to a factory booster and pedal, you can simply use a 7/16" drill bit to clean the threads out of the weld nuts on the pedal bracket. No need to remove it, just run the drill through.

If you're using an aftermarket booster, then maybe a call to the manufacturer might be in order.

Back