Brake pedal vibrate when depressing it

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtcs1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible, H Code
Hi, my 73 351 Clev 2V has 29000 miles.

A problem that just started this summer, pedal brake vibrate (like it was with a sticky motion) during depression at initial motion.

I tried a bit of spray oil at the pivot points, it's a bit better but still present.

Anyone experienced that and or have suggestion for me. Thanks for the help.

Drums or discs? Could be warped rotors or drum. I'm really just guessing here, not a mechanic.
Hi, disc, in the front, drum in the back.

I thought about that too but it does that even when car is not in motion. Thanks

Hi, disc, in the front, drum in the back.

I thought about that too but it does that even when car is not in motion. Thanks
Hmm weird! No idea then other than as you say, a sticky pedal bushing, which is just plastic I think. On my car, I added bronze bushes to the pedal shaft and at the same time added bearings to the clutch shaft as well as bronze bushes to the rest of the linkages. That made a huge difference to the operation of brake and clutch.. Could it be the power booster? Another thought.

Do you observe any change in idle speed when the vibration occurs? That would support there being a problem with the booster.
Didn’t notice that but I’ll check it paying close attention to that. Thanks

Not sure, how do I check that? And what difference would it make? Thanks
99.9% chance your car still has a vacuum booster which looks like a couple round cake pans welded together on the firewall.

A hydro booster is plumbed into your power steering pump and takes the place of the vacuum booster, it is much smaller and would have a few lines going to it.

Only reason I mentioned hydrobooster is that the symptoms you have sound like a failing one.

If the problem arises at light braking, check the tie rod ends at front suspension. Normally the trouble is there. They might wear out and have excessive play.

Back