Brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
I don't know how many on this site are on FB 71-73 Mustang groups, but if you seen this post before I apologize a head of time.

I've been struggling with replacing my rear brake shoes.    Seems there has been a swap of some kind because the normal 10 in shoes do not fit - they are too small.

I've been searching on line and locally for something that would fit and (after measuring everything again and not just "assuming" I found that what I needed was  11 x 1.75 shoes....those were on the 1973 Bronco ( or something similar) 283 brake shoes.    I went to install them today and found that the top end was too wide (see pic) to fit under the diamond  brake shoe retaining washer.

So I'm stuck....I could change the back plate, which isn't hard, but leads me down the axle removal, seal replacement , etc - cause if you've got it apart it's ridiculous not to do all that, especial when there's no telling when those things were serviced last (not since I've had the car).   Unless I can find shoes that fit, I'm considering  a swap for disc on the rear.

What I need is to find a 'smoaking' good deal on a conversion kit - one that can handle the emergency brake functionality.

I find the general one on SummitRacing and CJPony and NPD.  Any recommendation on either shoes that would fit or a conversion kit?

I shouldn't have to swap out the master cylinder, since the fronts are disc.

Thanks

Tim

IMG_1503.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
thank youi!!  I looked at the Galaxie's shoe...they do come int 11 x 1.75 but the top ends are the same - too wide.   I tried the Fairlane's as well same issue.

Back