C-6 operation...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

I had my C-6 transmission completely rebuilt, which was accomplished by me dropping it off at Mr Transmission in my area. This location was chosen on a recommendation and the gentleman appeared very knowledgeable with this old school trans. The only upgrade was a mild shift kit, a new front pump and the usual clutches, seals, gaskets etc.

When I picked it up, there was no testing, observations, etc. I just assumed it was rebuilt properly. Also, I had the original torque converter rebuilt as well. Took them home and put them aside until I was ready to reinstall the drivetrain.

I proceeded to detail the exterior of the trans., not touching anything internal. The shift lever on the side of the case appears to shift through all the gears smoothly and properly, the kick down operates freely also.

I attached the torque converter after putting a quart of trans fluid in it first. The transmission was then attached to the engine/flex-plate and both were then installed back in the car. I reinstalled the lockout rod and hooked up the shifter and rod from the shifter to the trans lever. 

The rear end was also rebuilt, I added the new fluid, friction modifier, etc., It operated fine by hand before I attached the driveshaft to it and the tranny. This is where I noticed that I could not get the wheels to turn as I shifted through any gears...

The tranny does not yet have any fluid installed as I have had no real reason to do so yet. I was getting close to putting the new fluid in but was waiting until the last possible moment.

So my query is why can I not turn the rear wheels in any direction in any apparent gear?It has been a long time since I worked on these systems, trying to figure out if I have missed something along the way... Does the tranny need fluid installed first? 

Does the lockout rod have anything to do with this? I hope it is not something more serious...

You don't have the parking brake set...right?

It might take quite a bit of effort to turn.
... no, not set. Will check closer though again as I have not finalized the parking brake setup, just tried it to make sure everything was working. Maybe, a wheel has not released...It feels like it is locked in place... I haven't put extreme force trying to turn the wheels at the back, but enough that I think it should turn somewhat. 

Trying to think this one through... I never tried rotating the output shaft from the tail housing since getting the trans back from the shop. I know the front of of the trans input/pump was turning freely, obviously if I am going to install and hook up the torque converter. 

Basically slid the driveshaft into place on the spline. Hopefully it is something simple.

Last edited:
Is the shift lever in the park position?
Yeah, that would be an obvious one... I have tried by operating the gear shifter through the various gear selections...

Probably worth taking drive shaft out at this point to verify engine turns over easily enough (even fighting compression). Obviously you would have noticed any issue with the rear end while installing axles, so that is not the problem. With shift linkage disconnected, you could also verify rear output shaft rotation while turning over engine.

C6 should turn freely without fluid in neutral since you would have rotated the torque converter to line it up with the flexplate. We're gonna assume you had the 1/2" clearance from the torque converter face (fully dropped into the detents) before mating the bellhousing to the engine block which would lead to checking the linkage...which is where you seem to be at this stage.

Good news, after sleeping on it... she was just tight, everything new or rebuilt. Once I tried to turn her at the rear universaljoint/yoke, moved freely in neutral... Relief.

Trying to turn a newly rebuilt driveline by hand at the rear wheel, no fluid in the trans; well just not going to happen as easily I would have expected. Too much strain on the axles, rear end etc. 

She's tight, but sound. That is a good thing. I have put myself under a lot of pressure on this restoration, sometimes you just need to relax... take a step back.

Good news, after sleeping on it... she was just tight, everything new or rebuilt. Once I tried to turn her at the rear universaljoint/yoke, moved freely in neutral... Relief.

Trying to turn a newly rebuilt driveline by hand at the rear wheel, no fluid in the trans; well just not going to happen as easily I would have expected. Too much strain on the axles, rear end etc. 

She's tight, but sound. That is a good thing. I have put myself under a lot of pressure on this restoration, sometimes you just need to relax... take a step back.
Good to hear!

That is great news....knowing how knowledgeable and careful you are with this project, it was kind of puzzling that it was 'locked'. Any new pics to share?

Good to hear!

Thanks! Appreciate your input.

That is great news....knowing how knowledgeable and careful you are with this project, it was kind of puzzling that it was 'locked'.  Any new pics to share?
I have been working towards getting the car both "rolling" and "running", working on a lot of small stuff so that I can complete the big stuff... I have been concentrating on the underside of the car, the engine bay and the front dash area. I am not to far off from achieving this goal. I will update when I get more visual items worth posting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back