C6 Trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Have a 73 with a C6 auto trans.  Am going to install new trans fluid/filter and pan gasket.  The pan gasket I have appears to be constucted of mainly rubber with a pebbled texture, may be rubber over cork but not sure.  Should I still use the appropriate RTV between the gasket and pan or skip the RTV  ?

Also, want to replace the Automatic Transmission Control Shaft Seal.  Do I need a special tool to remove or can I gently pry in out and tap a new one in with the correct diameter socket ?  As always thanks for any guidance !

steve

Steve,

For what it's worth from my experience on my cars...

On my 73 with C6 I tried both the cork and rubber gaskets and both leaked no matter what I did. I finally got fed up and put RTV on both sides of gasket and installed. Has not leaked since.

On my 72 with C6 that was rebuilt and had new rubberized gasket it is leaking after about 50 miles on car. I am going to take it off and RTV it.

What a pain...

Black fiber Farpak gasket is what works best. Make sure the rail on the pan is flat and not warped or bent up. Run a large flat file over the gasket surface on the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duraprene-Farpak-NEOPRENE-Coated-Fiber-Pan-Gasket-Fits-Ford-C-6-Transmissions/141860743009

The seal can be removed gently with a screwdriver or seal puller. You do have to remove the shift shaft. Don't forget to replace the o-ring on the kickdown.
Thanks very much for both responses !!!

Black fiber Farpak gasket is what works best. Make sure the rail on the pan is flat and not warped or bent up. Run a large flat file over the gasket surface on the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duraprene-Farpak-NEOPRENE-Coated-Fiber-Pan-Gasket-Fits-Ford-C-6-Transmissions/141860743009

The seal can be removed gently with a screwdriver or seal puller. You do have to remove the shift shaft. Don't forget to replace the o-ring on the kickdown.
HI,

Just want to clarify, I am being told that I need to remove the valve body to get to the shifter shaft to replace the seals.  Is that accurate ?  Thanks 

steve

HI,

Just want to clarify, I am being told that I need to remove the valve body to get to the shifter shaft to replace the seals.  Is that accurate ?  Thanks 

steve
Yes. You *might* be able to do it with it in, but it's a lot simpler to just remove the VB.

Back