Can I really get a factory look out of a spray can?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting on a stand is pretty, but after 10,000-20K miles if you want it to still look that way, you must prep it properly before you shoot it, or over time, all that will start coming off like a dress on prom night!
Now that's funny!

That's worth a point or two.
Lol, very similar to my old manager's line whenever he let's us know he's ready to head out:

"K guys, I'm off like a prom dress!" :D

Rich

Is it better to have the item being painted held vertically so the paint runs down the item, or should I lay it down so the paint puddles?
It's usually easier to have it upright and it keeps you honest so you don't lay too much on. Paint running down the item would be bad!! And puddling would bad! You want very light coats leading up to a finish coat. The finish coat whould be your heaviest, but still light. You want it to look wet and even, but if it's to heavy it wll run. Then you have to let it dry, sand the run out and do it over.

Looks great, Totalled! How is the durability on the exterior?
It's fine. It was painted in '05. Motor in '06.

This was last year.

DSCN0890.jpg

I rattle canned the front bumper on the bronco also, and it's holding up fine, other than surface rust where I've scraped it against trees.

Motor is fine, just dirty.

IMG_08501.jpg

Prep work is key.

My air cleaner has the original paint and decals on it and the original quality of the original paint job was nothing to write home about. A couple of runs and the paint was thin in places, so don't make yours too perfect!

if you want a factory look and color some places now mix factory colored paint in a spray can. you can get it in either base or single stage. ive used it for touch ups and it is amazing about $15 a can. just give them a paint code and they can mix it.

This is my 5.0 engine that I painted with DupliColor engine paint, and no its not chevy orange, it Ford Red,lol.

AFR head #1.JPG

You can actually paint a lot of things with spray bombs in better-than-factory quality. Although, the whole thing's success depends on several crucial points:

1. Paint quality

2. Spray can quality (sprayhead)

3. Painting skills

4. Ambient temperature and humidity

5. Abscence of dust

6. Material and surface preparation

7. Size of workpiece

I spray a lot of things with spray cans, because I do not want to make the whole buildup with compressor, spraygun, 2K-paint mixture and so on every time I have to paint a battery tray or a valve cover.

I usually blast the parts in my blasting cabinet. The surfaces are clean and rust-free afterwards and paint adheres perfectly. To get best paint adhesion to the surface, I degrease before painting with brake cleaner pr paint prep.

Depending on the part and its later usage, a layer of primer is applied.

Then three thin layers of spray paint with short drying periods of 10 minutes are applied. The number of layers is directly related to the quality and mixture of the paint. For engine parts, i like the VHT paint bombs, because they are of high quality, have a nice spray head, dry not too fast and not too slow, last long and have good coverage and final shine.

I also use 2K-Paints in spray cans for painting parts that need special durability and resistance, e.g. chassis parts.

Here you can see an ai cleaner housing that was painted in VHT's Ford Corporate Blue. You can also see the blasted surface befor paint.

Michael

01 Blasted.jpg

02 Snorkel.jpg

03 Lid.jpg

04 Sticker.jpg

05 Shiny lid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, Totalled! How is the durability on the exterior?
It's fine. It was painted in '05. Motor in '06.

This was last year.

DSCN0890.jpg

I rattle canned the front bumper on the bronco also, and it's holding up fine, other than surface rust where I've scraped it against trees.

Motor is fine, just dirty.

IMG_08501.jpg

Prep work is key.
Totalled, that is a nice little bronco II. i had an 89 that i put a 302 in. Man was it fun. I traded it to a guy in NC for the mach 1 i have now. Since your from WA your probably pretty familiar with James Duff. Did you use any of their parts for your 302 swap?

Back