Can Someone Tell Me What This Dash Switch Is

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

This pic is from a 73 convertible I think.

Left of steering wheel the "Park" indicator lights up when the parking brake is depressed? Was this part of an interior package?

Also, just below the "park indicator" and slightly to the right...what switch is this for?

Thanks Guys

Jeff

73interiorleftsteeringwheel_zpse2521739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, not sure if that indicator light is original, I've not see that on any other 71 to 73. I did see those lights in a catalog somewhere, I think they were for 65 to 66 Mustangs. The handle to the right of that light is the fresh air vent. Must be a non AC car. I'm someone who knows exactly what it is will be along soon...

yes its a fresh air vent,pull it forward to open and in to close it, there is one on the passenger side too.

Basically the knob is to dump dried leaves and pine needles on your carpet while simultaneously blowing allergens and dust in your face.

Basically the knob is to dump dried leaves and pine needles on your carpet while simultaneously blowing allergens and dust in your face.
That is awesome! Godd thing I wasn't driving when I did this the first time. Though, I had to force the 'valve' open because hte pne needles and leaves were dried and stuck in there. Also, a dead mouse skeleton. Made for a very large mess. But nothing my shop vac couldn't handle.

I believe when you engage the parking brake, it lights up (just like with modern cars having the word 'BRAKE' light up somewhere on the dash when the emergency brake is engaged. I could be wrong though.

And yes, mine 'had' the clock cluster as well (I'm working on getting a Rktman tach conversion to replace the clock).

The fresh-air vents are very cool... although, I will be giving mine up with the Classic Auto Air installation.

Mine has the "park" indicator too. I need to check if it works, then I can tell you what it does.

I know it came with an option package it's got nothing to do with tach or instrumentation option, as mine does not have those.

I have the info at home probably, need to check when I get home.

I do think think that it was a pretty dump place to put that indicator because it is completely out of your line of vision. So even if it is there to warn you that you need to release the parking break, you won't notice it because you can't see it. That's also the reason I don't know whether mine works or not.

Hi guys,

I just found the answer to my original question regarding the "park" indicator. Found in a Mustang identification book I had laying around. This light comes on when parking brake is depressed. Was only available as part of the "Convenience Package".

Thanks everyone...this is a great site!

Jeff

Mind has the "park" indicator too. I need to check if it works, then I can tell you what it does.

I know it came with an option package it's got nothing to do with tach or instrumentation option, as mine does not have those.

I have the info at home probably, need to check when I get home.

I do think think that it was a pretty dump place to put that indicator because it is completely out of your line of vision. So even if it is there to warn you that you need to release the parking break, you won't notice it because you can't see it. That's also the reason I don't know whether mine works or not.

You sparked a thought and after checking my pictures I have the park as well as another red light beside it. Mine is a 71 vert, now you have me wondering what the second red light is for. I'll check it out the next time I go to the guy that is building it and let everyone know, but I'm willing to bet someone here already knows what it is and what it is for. I can't make out the writing on it. Let me preface this by saying that my car has been at the builder's since last May and it should be ready "next week". I've heard that for about two months now. :whistling: Seriously though it is just about ready, he is just ironing out the last few issues. I have thrown a lot of parts and upgrades his way after checking out this forum and spending a small fortune. Ignore the interior, I have a completly new two-tone (blue w/white insets) ready to install after he completes the mechanics.

1971 Mustang Convt. (8) (Medium).JPG

You sparked a thought and after checking my pictures I have the park as well as another red light beside it. Mine is a 71 vert, now you have me wondering what the second red light is for. I'll check it out the next time I go to the guy that is building it and let everyone know, but I'm willing to bet someone here already knows what it is and what it is for. I can't make out the writing on it. Let me preface this by saying that my car has been at the builder's since last May and it should be ready "next week". I've heard that for about two months now. :whistling: Seriously though it is just about ready, he is just ironing out the last few issues. I have thrown a lot of parts and upgrades his way after checking out this forum and spending a small fortune. Ignore the interior, I have a completly new two-tone (blue w/white insets) ready to install after he completes the mechanics.
It would be the "belts " seat belt reminder light for 71

Not all car had it it was an option

Don

Back