Can you add a vacuum advance to a mechanical advance distributor?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I've searched for the answer to this question online with no luck, however I'm sure one of you knowledgeable folks here will know the answer...

My friend is offering me a great price on a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor with matching coil. This would be a nice upgrade to my (very old) mechanical Mallory dual point distributor (for about 1/4 of the price of new). However, I have been searching for a vacuum advance distributor as I read this will suit street driving conditions better.

Mallory lists the Unilite electronic distributor (#3756701) as coming in both mechanical and vacuum advance versions. So I am wondering if there is a kit where I can install a vacuum advance on this mechanical version.

Once again, I appreciate your help!

Probably not. The housing for the vacuum advance distibutor has an opening in the side of it for the vacuum advance to mount to, and the plate the pick up mounts to swivels. Mallory does not sell the repair/replacement parts you would need, even if you could cut the opening and mount the vacuum advance can.

I'd be very surprised if one wasn't available. I would imagine that they'd make one casing to suit both and just plug the hole for the mechanical only units. There are plenty of aftermarket adjustable vac units which you make fit with a little patience and a big hammer.

Yeah, it mentions on their site that it comes in both flavors, and they do sell replacement vacuum advance kits... I will give them a call tomorrow and find out what the answer is.

I'll post it up here for anyone in the future that has the same question.

I doubt you should add a vacuum advance to a purely mechanical dizzy. If you did, you would get too much advance at the wrong time, as each version is designed and curved for different advancements as a function of rpm.

For example, if you had a vacuum advanced dizzy already, you can unplug the vacuum line and run purely on the mechanical side. However, you will have to retune the carb as the car will not run as well as the dizzy was designed for.

Back