Can you identify what these wires are for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

i'm in the middle of arranging my engine bay and alot of the wiring has alot to do with it. i'm wanting to eliminated alot of the wires by removing the ALT harness and regulator and using a one wire alternator.

i look onto the engine bay harness and there is two plugs that plug into the alternator harness. now i know there is a difference between the ALT harness with or without a tach. i'm assuming these two plugs being the difference.

i looked and stared at the wiring diagram for a 73 and cannot figure out at all what it goes to. are these wires a 12v switch wire for the tach and the guages in the dash? if so, couldn't i just plug them into a 12v switch area?

i also took off al the brackets to repaint them and removed the balancer to install a timing tape (can barely read the marks and to read past 30 for full advance). alot of work ahead of me.

i'm also ditching the 6A MSD box for a rev limiting 6AL so i don't always accidently rev past my cams intended 6000rpms range.

any help would be appreciated guys! if i can find out soon, i can order or not order a 1-wire alternator shortly with the 6AL box.

wires1.jpg

wires2.jpg

wires3.jpg

The rectangular connector should have black with white stripe wire attached. If it does, it is power to the original electric choke. What color wire is attached to the oval shaped connector? Chuck

Both of these plugs go into the ALT harness! The wires on the ALT harness both look yellow. But the wires are kind of dirty so i cant tell.

Is anybody running a one wire alternator with a factory tach?

The rectangular connector should have black with white stripe wire attached. If it does, it is power to the original electric choke. What color wire is attached to the oval shaped connector? Chuck
on the engine bay side, it looks to be a green

wire!

Last edited:
If it's a green with red stripe it goes to the S terminal of the voltage regulator.
yes it does go to the S on the VR! on a 1-wire alternator upgrade, this wire is OK to be left capped and untouched on the engine bay side?

Sorry I misread your question. That wire goes to the alt warning light. It might be ok to leave it unhooked ,but on this diagram I found they use it for an exciter to start the alt. I know it shows it off the I terminal on the '65 but my wiring diagram shows green-red wire still going to the alt warning lamp.Are you going 1 wire alt primarily to clean up your engine compartment or more amps.P/A performance makes a 3g upgrade kit that you can your existing wiring.http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=75 ,also here's that wiring diagram it's the third post down. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/802741-3g-alternator-conversion.html . Hope this helps some.

Sorry I misread your question. That wire goes to the alt warning light. It might be ok to leave it unhooked ,but on this diagram I found they use it for an exciter to start the alt. I know it shows it off the I terminal on the '65 but my wiring diagram shows green-red wire still going to the alt warning lamp.Are you going 1 wire alt primarily to clean up your engine compartment or more amps.P/A performance makes a 3g upgrade kit that you can your existing wiring.http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=75 ,also here's that wiring diagram it's the third post down. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/802741-3g-alternator-conversion.html . Hope this helps some.
I am wanting to upgrade to a one wire because the engine bay looks cluttered with all those wires!!! And I know once I get a eke fan, the stock ALT might be maxed. Especially if I get a mild stereo!

I hear you man. I'm wanting to do the same thing. I put a 3g in an early bronco of mine,but it was the same time I put a new wiring harness in it and it was not that big of a deal.That diagram for the '65 should work I would think it's not that much different.Maybe someone else might chime in that has done this before,surly we aren't the only one that want to do it.

Back