car is wobbling

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Smokem,

I appreciate that you are willing to ignore my comments...especially since I wasn't talking to you. In fact, that was your only post on this topic I believe, so at what level are you involved in the discussion?

Marks73,

You are correct sir, many things are different and improved from 40 years ago. No one ever said anything otherwise.

You seem to intimate that the procedure I described is wildly dangerous and irresponsible, when in fact it was a typical and normal procedure for many years...and is still a viable procedure today, as long as the person performing the procedure is qualified to do so and reasonable safety habits are followed.

There are many procedures common to our vehicles that can be very dangerous, even fatal if not done with skill and expertise.

Just think of setting the dynamic timing on one of our old Mustangs...you've got your hands very, very close to the high-speed, whirring, sharp and very dangerouis fan blade spinning around just waiting to remove a finger or two. No one seems to make the "safety" or "only a 19 year old would attempt this" type of comments when talking about setting timing do they?

Naturally, I would certainly not expect a novice or an unskilled owner to just jack-up thier car, floor the gas pedal and then try to grab the driveshaft. And I never said anything like that either.

Clearly there is a danger working around any spinning or moving parts on a vehicle, driveshafts included. Anyone who takes any kind of advice from anyone on this forum or any other forum must exercise thier own best judgement and take personal responsibility to not try and attempt something they are not qualified to do.

Denny from "Denny's Driveshaft" in Kenmore, New York has been a personal acquaintance of mine for many, many years. Denny is known all over the country as one of the best driveline guys anywhere. He has many winning, succesful professional racers as his customers.

Guess what? When he gets an entire vehicle to balance the driveline, after the initial static shaft balance, he dynamically balances the shaft on the vehicle using this exact procedure. It is still today a very common technique.

As Smokem has pointed out above, I have been on this site for about a month now and have already been involved in a couple or three less-than-cordial interactions with some on this forum.

Any forum should be a free exchange of ideas, facts and opinions for all to enjoy, use or ignore as they see fit. I personally feel that no one should be ridiculed, made fun of or attacked by any forum member for expressing any opinion they have pertaining to the discussion at hand. Sarcastic and hurtful remarks are never a road to anything positive, yet this site seems to abound with some that regularly put down and ridicule those that they disagree with or just don't share an opinion with.

About a month ago, I made a comment about the common and legitimate practice of re-VINing a car by restorers(with you local DMVs permission and guidance of course) and was roundly vilified by many who likend me to a chop-shop owner, a thief or just a stupid hick that didn't know any better. At each insultive and derogatory comment directed towrds me, I defended myself and my position with tolerance and professioanlism, yet the mods were apparently inundated with complaints.The mods asked me to remove myself from that discussion, and I did.

Now, I make an innocent and reasonable response to a post about driveleine vibrations, and offer my thoughts on how to inexpensively balance a shaft yourself. My post is immediatly responded to with a comment by a mod with a very sarcastic remark that only "a 19 year old with no kids and no reason to live" would attempt that procedure...a very direct and insultive remark.

But that's OK, I like people with a little spunk and fire, and when I get a challenge, i'm up for it.

So I responded to this mod's sarcastic remarks with a couple of my own. "don't ruin your new manicure" and "let a real mechanic do your work for you" or something like that.

Was this taken in jest and good fun? Nope, instead I was issued a stern "warning" from the mods that my sarcastic attitude and remarks are "hurtful", while at the same time that mod was making ANOTHER sarcastic remark about me and at my expense on the very same post!

I don't suffer fools, and I don't willingly let anyone talk down to me, about anything for any reason. I don't care if anyone agrees with my suggestions or opinions, I am only offering them to possibly be helpful. Ignore them if you don't agree, I don't take it personally.

But if someone wants to throw a pointed statement, challenge or insult directly at me, I'm good to go. You get what you give, probably more.

I don't really "know" a single person here or know anything about any of you except we all have one thing in common: Mustangs. That should be enough to just share some information, ideas and opinions.

If my attitude rankles some of you, well...so be it, that's the way I am. Don't be offended and don't take offense.

I will end with this: If I offended any of you on this forum I apologize. That was not my intent. Possibly the "tone" of my comments comes across differently when read than when I am writing them.

Life is too short to get sideways over meaningless BS such as this. I will put this behind me and i hope others can do the same.

Kit

Last edited:
Guys.... this one really seemed to get a bit out of control, but seems to have turned into a safe direction. I'm glad, because from my perspective everyone on this forum should be treated as a valued member. We should all be above the pety jabs and sarcastic pokes directed towards another member. I always enjoy Don's posts and I have quickly learned that Kit has, and I hope will continue to make significant contributions to the members of this forum. Can't we all just get along... Rodney King!

I too learned to perform diagnostics back in the 70's while taking automotive classes that I would be hesitant to perform today. The only issue I have with the chalk method is it is performed with the suspension in a slack position. Driveline angles are completely different in that position and it seems may be less than accurate.

I have heard of another trial and error method of using 2 large hose clamps and attaching them to the driveshaft with the screw portions to opposite sides of the shaft. by moving one of the clamps and taking test drives to see if vibration is better or worse and readjusting. It seems time consuming but I have seen good results. This could be hazardous if working with a bent shaft and throwing off the balance at high speed.

I had a significant vibration I traced to a transmission mount.

The hose clamp method is also an effective and cheap "fix" in some circumstances, but certainly not as "clean" as using actual shaft weights.

:)

Kit and all,

sometimes we all assume a common understanding that isn't common. Next we are attempting to communicate and that can easily be misunderstood. We all need to keep these things in mind and remember our intent is to try to help one another. Then we need to try to remain humble and not judgemental. this is a great forum, we can keep it that way.

I don't know about the car wobble but the forum wobble has improved. Lest anyone question the staff's recent decision, here is a good early example of what we've dealt with for the past 2 years with no improvement.

Latest posts

Back