carb issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel pressure was at 10 psi, which seems high. Everything I have read says 6-7 psi. Could this be my problem? I am still running the manual fuel pump. Oh, also I re-checked the initial timing and what I thought was a 9 was actually a 0. So initial timing set at 10.

Fuel pressure was at 10 psi, which seems high. Everything I have read says 6-7 psi. Could this be my problem? I am still running the manual fuel pump. Oh, also I re-checked the initial timing and what I thought was a 9 was actually a 0. So initial timing set at 10.

Ok 10 is reasonable for initial timing.

10 for the pump is ok might seem higher then usual but the gauge reading may not be 100% correct.

18 in park is good. Dropping to 13, try turning the bleeds 1/8 a turn counter clockwise to open them and see if in gear the vacuum starts to come up.

I would want to know gapping on the plugs, making sure you don't have weak spark.

Also disconnect vaccum accesories for testing and see if you have a gain in vacuum that would indicate a small leak or other issue.

As for the engine cutting out. Try to make it reproducible.

For example does it only do it when you heavily accelerate. If your light on the pedal and it doesn't happen then we need to see if you are rich or lean.

So say you punch it, the car starts to go, then bogs maybe it stalls and you see black smoke then you know too rich.

Say you punch it the car pops from under the hood and you stall out, too lean. Your getting carb backfire.

Now with rich you can try advancing the initial timing to 12 and see if it improves.

With lean back off timing to 8 and see if it improves.

Either will take you in different tuning directions. Lean means your going to be playing with shooters, accelerator pumps or power valves and making them flow more fuel. Rich means your going to change things to flow less fuel.

Another thing is checking to see if the problem stops when the vacuum advance is plug and not working. You want to do testing just on mechanical advance.

The mechanical advance is another area that should be looked at. While in the distributor you check if your running points or electronic ignition.

Under that is the mechanical advance and you want to see if somebody messed with it. Sometimes people change the oem springs on the mechanical to gain performance. They install a lighter spring set which might bring in too much timing to fast leading to a lean power stroke and carb backfire. Oem is one heavy spring 1 light spring both silver color, A mr gasket set would be 2 black colored light springs, or sometimes people just leave one light spring. If you find a situation like that you might want to get a new set of springs. Sometimes one of the springs is found to be broken or it fell off inside so you never know till you inspect it.

As for low vacuum. Weak spark can cause it or delayed spark because of aftermarket wires which mechanically throws off timing and makes the engine seem retarded in spark. A vaccum leak could still be at play,idle might be too low, or again changing the idle bleeds richness under load.

I turned the bleeds 1/8 turn counter clockwise and didn't get anymore vacuum. Just out of curiosity I turned them about a turn and a half and was able to get 13 vacuum. I am running the autolite spark plugs with a gap of .40 with Ford racing 9mm spark plug wires.

The motor tends to cut out when driving down the road at a consistent speed. Once cruising at 30 and another time while cruising at 50 mph. Also, wants to cut out when I am coming up to a stop sign or slowing the car down. As far as when I hit the gas, the car does hesitate a bit, and I see a little black smoke. Also, the car is very doggy off of the line. Am I running too big of a carb? Currently at a 750 and have been seeing that 600 maybe better for my application. The car was originally a 2v, but along the line has been upgraded to a torker 351 manifold.

I am running an MSD ignition and the springs are both silver inside distributor.

Hope this info helps, any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A large number of carburetor "faults" are actually mis diagnosed ignition issues.

How old is the timing gear set? Has the balancer spun on its hub? This may give a faulty indication. Are all of your wires on top of the intake manifold wrapped up well? No chance anything is grounding slightly when the engine vibrates?

not sure on the age of the timing gear set. No exposed wires on top of manifold. I went ahead and swapped the 750 edelbrock for a 600 and the car had a lot more power and was much less doggy off of the line. It ran great and felt great. Then I came upon and curve and halfway through the curve the car stalled. I put it in neutral and fired it back up (took several seconds). Then I was heading onto the interstate and I was climbing up the on ramp and the car stalled for a second then fired right back up again on its own.

Do you still think it may be ignition issues? Or do I need to do more tuning on the carb? Also, I just put a new set of plugs in it yesterday.

Almost sounds like a faulty coil, but it would shut down for a while until it cooled down a bit. I'd rule out the coil for that reason.

Thanks for that, coil ruled out. Had another guy tell me that the edelbrock carbs do not run very well with fuel pressure at 10 psi. Maybe look at getting a fuel pressure regulator?

Sorry I am late to the party

verify that the manifold is designed for 2 barrel heads and not 4 barrel heads-check by part number if you can
Can't find a part/model number on the intake. It just says Torker 351

the Torker 351 is for a V4 engine only, not for a V2. but if you have V4 cylinder heads that doesn't matter.

the Torker 351 is for a V4 engine only, not for a V2. but if you have V4 cylinder heads that doesn't matter.
I am not sure which heads are on the car. Is there a way to visually check? The torker 351 was on the car when I purchased it.

Took the car out on the interstate. ran fine for about 10 miles then it cut out and stalled and fired back up on its own. I was not accelerating or slowing down when this happened, i was just cruising at a constant speed. It did this three times and on the third time it back fired. Sounded like it was from the exhaust, but was hard to tell. After that it ran fine for another 10 more miles back to the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
the V4 heads have a 4 written on them in the upper corner sometimes you see a 4 and a DOT

2v_or_4v.jpg

there is debate and has been about the Dot 4 heads.

the debate is if the DOT means open chamber heads. I have Dot 4 heads and they are open chamber but people have stated that they have seen Dot 4 heads that are closed chamber.

so the old rule was the 4 meant closed chamber heads and the Dot 4 meant open chamber heads.

but to be sure it is recommended that the heads are pulled and inspected if that information is important.

oh and there can be heads with no numbers on them in the corners, for those you have to find the casting numbers you may need to pull valve covers and search for the casting numbers in that case.

i was told once that 351M heads do not have numbers on them, but the 351C heads do have 2 or 4s on them.

-------------

if you do see a 2 on your heads, then don't panic yet. my understanding is the torker 351 is just for V4 heads, now there might be a V2 version i don't know about. worse case scenario is changing out the torker 351 for a performer V2-351 intake, which is a dual plane, which I think for a street car its better because you get better low end torque from a dual plane intake

If it is the wrong intake, odds are that you have a vacuum leak, even if you can't find it at idle. The port mismatch is huge.

Don't panic- if you have the wrong intake, I will gladly trade you an old aluminum dual plane 4 barrel intake for 2 barrel heads. It has been overly polished and I got stuck on the deal when it was misrepresented, but it is perfect for a 2V(barrel) head engine. If your intake is in decent shape I'd even throw in enough $ to cover the costs of your gaskets and sealants for the changeover.

The 351 Cleveland is one of the easiest engines to change an intake manifold on since no water flows through it.

yup its not hard to change the intake manifold the biggest issue is not using the OEM or aftermarket end caps. OEM is cork, and aftermarket are these molded rubber pieces with little fingers on them.

both of these oil seals end up leaking like crazy the best is a BIG huge thick and tall bead of RV sealant.

you have the seals for the intake ports usually you put a little dab of sealant to hold the gaskets in place, then on the back of the block and the front you put the huge RV sealant line right on the oil valley lip extend the line just a little to overlap the gasket seals on the lower corners then align the intake drop it in place and start to torque it down to spec.

the cork gaskets oil valley gaskets have sticky tape on one side and that is suppose to keep the cork in place, but they start to walk out from under the intake and cause massive oil leaks.

the Rubber with the fingers hold slightly better but you get a nagging leak right at the corners of the intake between the rubber seal and the intake gasket.

forget them just use the RV sealer with the intake gaskets. I've done them all 3 ways the RV works every time. it can be messy.

^^ +1 use rtv and Toss out the cork or rubber end pieces. They leak everytime.

the V4 heads have a 4 written on them in the upper corner sometimes you see a 4 and a DOT

2v_or_4v.jpg

there is debate and has been about the Dot 4 heads.

the debate is if the DOT means open chamber heads. I have Dot 4 heads and they are open chamber but people have stated that they have seen Dot 4 heads that are closed chamber.

so the old rule was the 4 meant closed chamber heads and the Dot 4 meant open chamber heads.

but to be sure it is recommended that the heads are pulled and inspected if that information is important.

oh and there can be heads with no numbers on them in the corners, for those you have to find the casting numbers you may need to pull valve covers and search for the casting numbers in that case.

i was told once that 351M heads do not have numbers on them, but the 351C heads do have 2 or 4s on them.

-------------

if you do see a 2 on your heads, then don't panic yet. my understanding is the torker 351 is just for V4 heads, now there might be a V2 version i don't know about. worse case scenario is changing out the torker 351 for a performer V2-351 intake, which is a dual plane, which I think for a street car its better because you get better low end torque from a dual plane intake
Thanks for the pics. They were very helpful. The heads are V4 so that shouldn't be my issue

Back