Carb question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff717

Reaction score
My Car
1972 sprint fastback mustang
OK guys I have a question. First off I have a Cleveland 4v rebuilt but almost stock with a mild cam and aluminum Edelbrock intake. The previous owner had a 650 Holly spread bore double pumper carb on the car. When I purchased the car the carburetter was in very poor shape. Leaking out the Excelerator pumps etc. I rebuilt the spread bore myself but the carburetter is not performing at all how I would like. This carb does not have a choke tower. It was this way from factory. So my question is do I rebuild this one? The fact that it has no choke sort of annoys me. Do I spend more time on it or look for something else? If so what do u recommend?

Is there an adapter plate to mate the spread bore carb to the Edelbrock intake? If there is I'd look for another carb and get rid of the adapter plate. Look for a carb with good adjustability, floats, air bleeds, idle channel restrictor. Something like this. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-sl-750-vs

You will need to but fuel line for a Holley 4160 series carb and re-rout the fuel line to enter on the right side of the carb.

Chuck

I can well imagine that having no choke in Canada is an annoyance.

I agree with Chuck 's carburetor choice. Fuel injection is another option, FiTech is what I've decided on, I'm tired of tuning and rebuilding carburetors, breathing carb cleaner fumes and absorbing it into my skin.

Don, If you do install the FITECH system please let us know costs and results. It sounds very interesting. Chuck

Back