Carburetor recommendations, please! - 351C, 4BBL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this information.  I'd sure like to do this without pulling the intake manifold.  I think I'll give the set screws a shot first.  Why did they fail in your case?  
There was still too much heat under the carb. The set screws prevented the hot gases, but didn't do much to stop the excessive heat even with a 1" fiber spacer that I also use now. (it's supposed to increase torque!!)

An alternative of course is to buy an aftermarket intake like the Blue Thunder that everyone seems to like.

Hello all,

I bought the square bore Summit Racing® M2008 Series Carburetor SUM-M08750VS.  The Trans Dapt 2199 adapter doesn't work and it's really thick (15/16").  I haven't been able to find one that covers the emission groove fully.  See pic below with 2199 on top of intake.  A friend and his buddy suggested filling the groove with JB Weld.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this because I'm not very knowledgeable.  I see it being a problem if I want to swap back to my original carb. Your thoughts?  I guess there aren't any easy fixes for this. 😒

View attachment 44645

The adapter is not designed for the 73-74 351C intakes, that shape is for the later 460 intakes when they switched to the 4350 carb. 

FWIW, if you send me a new correct gasket for the EGR plate to manifold, I'll design and punch you out an 1/8" steel plate. 

I just bought a '70 manifold w/o the channel 

Ford Cast # D0AE-9425-L

Ford# D0AZ-9424-C

Date: (0L12) 1970 November 12th

need to have it media blasted. Now need to decide on a carb, I need to get away from the 4300D (will keep it as a wheel chock (or for a future owner if they want to restore it back to original))

Open to suggestions, intend to add ram air nasa hood (though the earlier shaker is also quite appealing), also need to decide on whether to go long or short on headers and depending on which, which brand? I am leaning towards Hookers, but am open to other ideas.

View attachment 1970-1971 Ford Mustang 351C Intake Manifold D0AE-9425-L.html
View attachment 1970-1971 Ford Mustang 351C Intake Manifold D0AE-9425-L 2.html

Thanks for this information.  I'd sure like to do this without pulling the intake manifold.  I think I'll give the set screws a shot first.  Why did they fail in your case?  
 I missed mentioning that when you tap those holes, to use some grease on the tap to prevent bits getting into the engine via those passages.  A 5/16 -18 tap should fit the hole without the need for drilling.  I also missed mentioning I used a small amount of exhaust cement on the set screws as the hole on mine were a bit over the 1/4" hole size for a 5/16-18 thread. Just a precaution.

Back