Caring & Looking After Matt Black Paint.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

The subject of spraying and keeping your matt black paint looking good has come up from time to time in the forum over the years. I myself have given plenty of good advice and feedback on this very topic.

1973Vert-1-BJ05.jpg

The general opinion and feedback on matt and semi gloss paint finishes from forum members has been fairly negative, as they have come to realize that maintaining and keeping your matt finish looking good is an uphill battle. This is a main reason why many Mustang owners opt out for refinishing their two tone panels with a gloss clearcoat all over, as it represents a much more durable and practical surface to keep clean and stay looking good.

Matt black paint finishes and wraps, need a lot more babying and careful attention to stay looking in good shape. Matt and semi gloss paint finishes can not be cut and polished or waxed and polished. Once a matt paint has been sprayed off the gun and is dry and cured, there's very little you can do to remedy any problems that may occur to the finish, without spoiling the overall appearance. Nine times out of ten, your only remedy is to refinish the panel again. (For example - bird or sap droppings, hard water residues that leave spotting and ringing marks, use of any sandpapers or abrasives, regular chips and scratches, use of any waxes, detailers, or polishes)

So to help forum members care for and maintain their matt finishes to their best, i have provided a website link to a very good and reputable Australian company that gives sound basic advice, and gives recommendations on some interesting products to help keep your matt panels looking very good. I have personally dealt with the company in the past, and have learned that they deal only in the high end of car detailing concepts and products. I have not personally tried any of these matt protection products that are mentioned, but i would feel very confident that they would be very much worth trying to see what can be achieved.The products represent new technologies to bring beneficial results to matt paints and wraps. These products should be also available in America. I will get around to trying one or two of these products myself, and will give updated feedback on what i personally think of them myself. Lastly, if you have some time, explore this website, as it is power packed with loads of good information on car detailing ideas and tips, and products information as well.

Your Reference ............

http://news.carcareproducts.com.au/2013/06/21/how_to_care_for_matte_paint_and_wrap

UPDATE - I have provided a link to an American website that deals in Nanolex car products.

https://nanolex.us/

Good luck,

Greg.:)

I've copied and pasted the info below directly from that site in case the link changes.

http://news.carcareproducts.com.au/2013/06/21/how_to_care_for_matte_paint_and_wrap

How to care for Matte Paint and Wrap?

In Car Paint

By system on Friday, 21 June 2013

They look cool and are becoming very popular but do you know how to care for Matte Paint and Wrap? It used to be reserved for the likes of Lamborghini, BMW or Mercedes but now more manufacturers are offering Matte Paint choices for their vehicles, like Hyundai and Harley Davidson on motorbikes.

There are a lot of rumours out there concerning ‘How to Care for your Matte Paint or Matte Vinyl Wrap’ so let’s answer those first:

- You can use any car care on Matte Paint /Wrap – WRONG. Most car care contains gloss enhancing agents that will make your nice matte finish shiny and patchy. This includes quick detailers, most shampoos and especially wash & wax combos.

- You can Polish your Matte Paint/Wrap – WRONG. The ‘matte’ is created in the outer most surface so anything with abrasives in will flatten the matte finish making it glossy and destroying the matte.

- You can Wax your Matte Paint/Wrap – WRONG. Well with at least 99% of waxes on the market containing oils and gloss enhancers, these waxes will ‘fill’ the matte surface and make it patchy and uneven, in the worst cases or after a couple of coats regular waxes will make your matte turn glossy.

- Matte Paint/Wrap does not scratch – WRONG. This type of paint and wrap scratches just as easily as most but the difference is you cannot correct (polish/buff out) the scratches or marks! So use the 2-Bucket Method to wash your car with a super soft mitt and drying towel. Do not go near automatic or even hand car washes, they will mark your paint/wrap. Ensure it is protected well so dirt and contamination will be easier to remove.

- You do not have to protect your Matte Paint/Wrap – WRONG. Matte paint is probably more susceptible to damage from the environment like water spotting from rain, and Matte vinyl is even weaker again so both definitely need some protection from the daily elements to keep them looking good.

So what can you use; the latest offering in this matte market is from Nanolex and specifically designed for the protection and care of Matte Paints and Wrap. Being German they have been testing and perfecting their range for several months, even to the point of trialling on the Frozen PPG paints at a BMW facility in Germany. They offer a complete range; firstly protection – you can either use the Matte Spray Sealant for a fast fix or the Matte Professional Sealant for long term protection. Before applying either it is suggested to use the Matte Surface Cleaner to properly prepare the paint or wrap. Then for washing the Matte Wash Shampoo is pH balanced, free rinsing but adds zero gloss or shine. Matte Final Finish is a great quick detailer, it removes light dust, stubborn finger prints and even most water spots to renew that perfect matte finish. And for the easy solution look into the Nanolex Matte Kits which provide a complete solution.

In addition you have the Dr Beasley’s Matte Paint Care, featuring a similar line up in products to Nanolex with a specific wash, sealant and quick detailer to maintain matte paints and wraps – this is manufactured in the US and very popular with a lot of Hyundai owners over there.

And finally as mentioned above your Matte Paint/Wrap does need to be washed correctly because wash/swirl marks cannot be polished so make sure you use the 2-Bucket Method, a soft mitt and super soft drying towel to ensure you do not damage your paint.

We have detailed and are experienced with Matte finishes, so if you have any questions or want more information please call or email at any time and we will be happy to help and answer any of your Matte questions…

The matte finish is an important part of the muscle Mustangs. I hope more choose to utilize it vs the glossy finish!

The original intent was to cut down on reflective glare from the hood. So hoods with gloss black would be solely for the 'look' and could possibly make the sun's reflection worse.

:)

Ray

Yes, Ford originally called it "non-glare racing black". It adds a big measure of "authenticity" to look of the car. The flat black juxtaposed with the shiny paint adjacent to it is very eye-catching. Painting the tutone glossy black looks ok, but it just doesn't "pop" like a period-correct flat black painted hood does.

Mine is as flat as I could get it and still be practical. Which means it is not as flat as OEM, but nowhere near as shiny as regular glossy paint.

I really love the look of an OEM flat hood!

Last edited:
Looks like some cutting edge products by Nanolex. I was unable to find that product in the US. The link for the company in US would not open for me. Anyone else find the produced here.

My hood is painted the correct matte black and I would like to keep it preserved.[/i]

Edit: tried link this morning and it did not work, it works now!

Last edited by a moderator:
My matt has two coats of clear coat on it and should be fine and still looks matt. But even with that the body shop said never wax the matt finish.
Hi mp,

Yes, some folks like to use a matt clear over the black panels. The interesting thing is that the matt clear will behave the same as a normal matt black finish would in relation to being sensitive to getting damaged easily. So by going the clear over black route, you are not really gaining much at all from a protection point of view. Yes,waxing your matt clear is of course is not to be done at all.

Also, i have mentioned before on other threads that using 2Pak matt blacks and clears, offers greater durability over acrylic matt black and clear lacquers, and should give better service and lasting qualities than lacquer will. The trouble is that spraying the 2Pak matts, is much harder in relation to getting nibs or any junk in the finish when you're spraying it on.

Looks like some cutting edge products by Nanolex. I was unable to find that product in the US. The link for the company in US would not open for me. Anyone else find the produced here.

My hood is painted the correct matte black and I would like to keep it preserved.[/i]

Edit: tried link this morning and it did not work, it works now!
Hi Mike,

here is a link to Nanolex products, America.

https://nanolex.us/

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also some products from "Dr Beasley's" formulated specifically for flat paint finish cleaning and maintenance.

With all the new-found popularity of expensive optional flat paint on anything from new Hyundais to BMW and Mercedes Benz high-zoot models, even top-dog Lambourghinis, it just goes to show that once again our Mustangs were way ahead of thier time!

Back