changing odometer to different number

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 fastback
Is it possible to roll the odometer back?  When looking at ads it appears some have lower miles than the condition of the car.  I remember when I was a kid the used car lots got caught doing this.  I bought a dash setup on ebay and want to change to what I think my car really is.  The odometer needs to be 20000 and it is 60000 even though I watched 2 turnovers to zero.  How many laws would I break?

I forget exactly how I did it, but I rolled mine back to 00000. I remember being able to remove the wheels, I think that I had to unbend a tab to get them out and then reinstalled. I think I also carefully cleaned them at the same time.

Probably none, I don't believe the DMVs track mileage on vehicles this old. There's no way to tell how many times the speedometers have turned over. Condition also means little, a car that was run a couple of years in the snow/salt belt with 20,000 miles looks worse than one with a 120,000 miles in Arizona. How well a car was taken care of, or not, means more than mileage.

When I see an older car advertised with low mileage I don't believe them anyway. Too easy to set it back or replace it with a new one, or a used one, plus, does 20,000 mean 120,000, or 220,000? The only way you can prove what the mileage is with maintenance records and receipts.

Yes you can set to any mileage you want. When I purchased a 1984 Mustang 20th. Anniversary car they came with the 85 mph speedo. I hated it got me in trouble several times did not know how fast I was going over 85. I took back to dealer ordered the Highway Patrol Speedometer with I think 140 showing. They put in the car and set the mileage where the old one was to maintain my warranty.

Like stated our state does not look at mileage on older vehicles.

D

Back