Charcoal Canister

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is a charcoal canister worth adding

• Yes, it is the way Ford did it.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • no it is just dead weight

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • really, you want a can full of fumes in your engine compartment?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
I have one available. My car did not have one when I acquired it. While I know the general purpose was to reduce emissions from fuel evaporating, does the use offer any advantage beyond being original and possibly somewhat green?

I always considered them to be a bigger waste of weight and space than to be of any actual benefit.

Mine is sitting, painted a very sharp-looking Ford Dark Blue, on my shelf in the garage. I mentioned it to my engine builder during the first time and tune, and he muttered a few profanities about the EPA and then glared at me. I haven't brought the subject up since :p and the car runs great!

I took mine off and the car stunk of fuel all the time. I tried capping the vent line and since the 73 has a non-vented fuel cap there was negative pressure in the tank. Bottom line is I put it back in place and no stink.

No I do not have one on the car. I have zero issues with fuel smell in the car. Did not vote because not sure if I believe its dead weight but there is not one on my car

Back