Choke Adjustment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
351C 4v
Just wondering if anyone else has to adjust their electric choke for cold weather (32 degrees f.). I got mine started today and it wouldn't kick down off of the high idle until I adjusted it. I had to put it all the way to the right side to get it to idle normally at operating temp. My setup is a stock 351c 4v with a 770 avenger, and this is the first winter for me with this carb. Is this normal or do I have an issue? Appreciate the feedback.

Scott

does that carb have a separate vac line or is it the little piston inside the unit? i would ck to make sure u have vac. or maybe the little piston is sticking. either case the vac should be opening the choke plate somewhat.. yes they can be tricky to play with.

Just wondering if anyone else has to adjust their electric choke for cold weather (32 degrees f.). I got mine started today and it wouldn't kick down off of the high idle until I adjusted it. I had to put it all the way to the right side to get it to idle normally at operating temp. My setup is a stock 351c 4v with a 770 avenger, and this is the first winter for me with this carb. Is this normal or do I have an issue? Appreciate the feedback.

Scott
Where are you getting the full 12 volts to power the choke from?

The stator terminal on the alternator is the best, that way the choke is only energized when the engine is actually running. Connecting it to a 12 volt keyed source means that when the key is on the choke starts warming up, whether or not the car is being started.

Check the terminal on the choke with a voltmeter, when the engine is running, to make sure that it is receiving 12 volts. It sounds like it isn't being energized, warming up, and opening the choke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting in 1973, electrically assisted chokes were used. They still required manifold heating to operate correctly. The choke bi-metal spring used was designed to use the low AC voltage present at the S terminal of the alternator. The electrical choke supplied with modern carb are designed to work with 12 VDC. Choices are find a switched 12 VDC source to feed the choke anytime the key is on (which has it's downside) or use a relay activated by the AC voltage from the S terminal on the alternator to send switched 12 VDC to the new choke. Chuck

Good point, Chuck. The stator terminal only puts out around 6 volts, which would cause slow operation and opening of a choke that is designed to run on 12 volts.

Latest posts

Back