Choosing gear ratio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running 3.73's with my c4 and love them. On the highway I am turning 2800-3000 at 65-70 mph. Drove mine 5 hours to Carlisle all ford nationals a couple years ago with no troubles.

If you have found 3.50 gear for $100 locally, I would say jump all over that especially since you won't have to wait on and pay for shipping internationally.
I can't believe you're running a C4 behind that monster of yours. :D

I think he jumped on the 3.50s and is going that direction. ::thumb::
Built right, a C4 will take a hell of a pounding!! And weighs considerably less than a C6. Down the road i'm going to be looking for an OD tranny, probably a beefed up 4r70w. But my car had a c4 in it when I bought it so that's what I ran with. My buddy built it for me and it shifts HARD. Its pretty impressive. Broader did all the valve body work to it and its a great little tranny. Might be a different story if I could ever get it to hook up. But for now , it works!! :D
Well... there it is. Ain't nuthin' wrong with that at all. ::thumb::

No one has mentioned tire size, but it is important to consider.

a 26" tall tire with a 3:50 gear will turn nearly the same RPM at any speed as a 28" tall tire with a 3.89 gear

You need to decide on your tire size and your gear ratio together and in conjunction with the level of engine modification you intend to perform

Hi again! My rear tires are 245/60 R14, so in inches: 26/9.65-14

3.50 it is, i have not fully grown up just yet :D

Yes i really want a trac lok as well but i cant afford it :( but it really would be neccesary since already now with the 2.75 it just lights one tire up from standstill, even though its really sluggish up to say 3000 rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
So 3.50 gears are on the way! What do i need to swap out the gears exactly? Any tips on the procedure? Never done a gear swap before.

I cant wait to feel the difference, it is very throttle responsive when in neutral/park but so damn tired off the line. Need to get a higher stall converter as well.

Back