Classic movie "Forbidden Planet"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Who here is a fan of classic sci-fi, or just classic movies in general.

Just sat down with my 18 year-old daughter and watched "Forbidden Planet"...one of my all-time favorites. ( Anne Francis at her best!)

I guess we all subconciously ignore glaring deficiencies in things we love from our youth. This film is no different. I never noticed how terrible the " futuristic" music and sound effects were, but my daughter could not get past it. I now agree...it really lets down the rest of this great film.

Interestingly, this is the only theatrically-released sound film that does not have ANY music in it. The "music" was really electronically-made feedback and warbling. No musical instruments used.

I typically HATE when any classic film is "improved" years later...it typically adds nothing, and usually makes it worse. ( are you listening, George Lucas?).

But...I think this old film would benefit immeasurably with better, more realistic sound effects and a classic "Star Wars" style musical soundtrack.

But, I love this film!

Well, regardless of my comments about the music, you will like this film. It was a very strong influence on Gene Roddenberry of "Star Trek" fame.

I watch the same old sci-fi/horror stuff that I saw as a kid. Besides the big budget stuff I really like cheap stuff from post WWII to about 1975. My roadster is named “Mo Mentum” as a reference to the end of The Giant Gila Monster.

My evening is lost if I’m scanning channels and any of these are going to be on : THEM, The Killer Shrews, Earth vs the Flying Saucers, It Conquered the World, This Island Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still….. I try to catch anything with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing. Charlton Heston has a small number of sci-fi films but I try to see them whenever they’re shown. Roger Corman stuff is fun (especially if you’ve been drinking).

momentum.jpg

I've watched Forbidden Planet a few times and believe the sound effects add to the movie's appeal. Too many movies rely on the sound track to try to make the movie interesting, instead of supporting it.

When you watch 'Forbidden Plant' keep in mind what year it was made. The special effects are impressive. It's one of my favorite movies and stars a young Leslie Nelson.

Yep: For a movie made in 1957, the effects are pretty impressive. It was the first really big-budget sci-fo so that opened up a lot of possibilities with effects that had never been tried before.

However...while the innovative and original "futuristic" sounds made with a theramin and other electronic devices may have made the movie original and unique, I just don't personally feel that they have really added anything to the movie in the long term. The warbling sound of the theramin was overused so much by almost every subsequent low-grade and schlocky sci-fi flick that came afterwards that it now just gives the movie a corny, outdated personality.

But that's just my personal opinion, and I still love the movie regardless.

Love the film. There was a stage show in London a fair few years back called 'Return to The Forbidden Planet' using the storyline and combining it with 1950's & 60's pop/rock music...I've got to say it was a whole lot of fun (went to see it twice)...I've just googled it and it's still touring the theatres here..

Who here is a fan of classic sci-fi, or just classic movies in general.

Just sat down with my 18 year-old daughter and watched "Forbidden Planet"...one of my all-time favorites. ( Anne Francis at her best!)

I guess we all subconciously ignore glaring deficiencies in things we love from our youth. This film is no different. I never noticed how terrible the " futuristic" music and sound effects were, but my daughter could not get past it. I now agree...it really lets down the rest of this great film.

Interestingly, this is the only theatrically-released sound film that does not have ANY music in it. The "music" was really electronically-made feedback and warbling. No musical instruments used.

I typically HATE when any classic film is "improved" years later...it typically adds nothing, and usually makes it worse. ( are you listening, George Lucas?).

But...I think this old film would benefit immeasurably with better, more realistic sound effects and a classic "Star Wars" style musical soundtrack.

But, I love this film!
It's one of my favorites from that era. Right up there with This Island Earth. I think the 'music' was chosen to keep the audience unsettled. Not so much for dramatic effect, but for atmosphere and tension.
Don't forget Earl Holliman and Robbie making booze!

Earl Holliman and Robbie making booze?...? Big deal,it's Anne Francis that stole the show making wood!

If they made that movie today they would continue her "education" past kissing.
If they made that movie today it would be a computer animated load of crap with explosions and impossible camera sweeps and everybody would be almost superhuman and the laws of physics would no longer be laws but merely suggestions.

Lux, you nailed it perfectly! "impossible camera sweeps"...that is exactly what ruins new CGI movied for me. Plus the fact that they usually just stink.

That and the over the top action. I know it's a movie but heck, keep it credible, if only just a little.

If they made that movie today they would continue her "education" past kissing.
If they made that movie today it would be a computer animated load of crap with explosions and impossible camera sweeps and everybody would be almost superhuman and the laws of physics would no longer be laws but merely suggestions.
While Captain America comes to mind as a poster child for it, the 1979 film Star Trek: The Motion Picture comes to mind for an attempt at an effects show that really doesn't pay off (granted, some of it is excellent, but those V'Ger clouds fall flat) - especially considering Kubrick's 2001 - ten years earlier.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
ST: TMP falls flat mainly becuase the not-so-special effects, while massively expensive and adventurous for the time, gave ghe end result of most of the characters standing around on the bridge watching the big-screen TV for 2 hours. As a "Star Trek" fan , I love it. Especially all those long, slow and loving shots of "Big E" near the beginning. But...as a movie fan I hated it. Just a total mish-mash of ideas and concepts that don't work well together.

Back