Cleveland 4V Ceramic Coated Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...true dat E! Cannot wait to get those rusty 'ole pavement scraping Hookers outta there!!!!
Wow - you're not the first one to say that the Hookers hang too low. I guess I did something wrong, I'm not seeing it. This pic was with the "stock" 14" rims and 195/70R14 tires (I'm sure it's gone up about a half inch with the 15" rims and 245/60R15s):

1546421_763832433627677_604835110_n.jpg
I had the Hooker Comp on my car and clearance was about 6.25". The super Comp is where the clearance issues are. I went to those because I wanted parallel exiting collectors and the clearance is just a little over 4". Those Hooker Comp headers tuck up nicely with plenty of clearance.

sweet 390...headers look great. I'd love to also put a set on my 68 Torino GT convertible's 390 but can only do one at a time. Looks like your's is almost ready!!!!

FPA is a great company and has great products.

I bought a set of headers for my big block 68 Torino and the fit was perfect. Nearly 15 plus years later they still look great.

I had to replace the starter and was cussing what I was expecting to have to go through. I unbolted the starter from the block and slid it back only to discover that FPA had included a perfect notch for the pole on the starter to fit into and the starter simply could be rotated and dropped out without loosening anything on the header.

Using this access notch the new starter went in just a easy.

These are the only headers I use on my street cars.

- Paul
I have a fondness for the 68 Torino GT also...no headers yet but she's got a healthy 390!

Torino- Whitemarsh (1).jpg

...true dat E! Cannot wait to get those rusty 'ole pavement scraping Hookers outta there!!!!
Wow - you're not the first one to say that the Hookers hang too low. I guess I did something wrong, I'm not seeing it. This pic was with the "stock" 14" rims and 195/70R14 tires (I'm sure it's gone up about a half inch with the 15" rims and 245/60R15s):

1546421_763832433627677_604835110_n.jpg
I had the Hooker Comp on my car and clearance was about 6.25". The super Comp is where the clearance issues are. I went to those because I wanted parallel exiting collectors and the clearance is just a little over 4". Those Hooker Comp headers tuck up nicely with plenty of clearance.
My existing Hookers must be the super Comps then. They are definitely hanging lllloooowwww!

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to tell is the Comp header collectors angle in towards the drive shaft and on automatics the flange gets close to the tranny oil pan, almost touches. The Super Comp collectors run parallel to the drive shaft.

Wow - thanks for the note on that, J. ::thumb::

I'd thought about the Super Comps, and had I known they came out parallel, I might've ordered them instead. But the whole "they hang down lower" sealed the deal for me. I was a bit irritated by the inward angle, but having a pipe bender at my disposal (at the time) made all the difference.

Here's the inward angle for the Hooker Competiton Headers jbojo spoke of:

252362_457333127610944_28584412_n.jpg

Approximately 7 degrees of bend to the lead pipes of the Pypes exhaust had everything happy in about 15 minutes.

(Edit) Here's another pic that might help determine how far they hang down - I admit I didn't get enough pics of these things while it was on the lift:

522794_453452127999044_1520165078_n.jpg

That's the factory FMX tranny mount modified for the AOD.

Does anyone have a spare set of 4v headers? my drivers side is warped bad and i can't get to seal up no matter what i do. They are Hooker comps

Does anyone have a spare set of 4v headers? my drivers side is warped bad and i can't get to seal up no matter what i do. They are Hooker comps
I'll have a pair of Hooker Super Comps available in a couple of weeks. Once I put the new FPA ones on (beginning of this thread) I would be able to ship them to you. Message me, if you're interested. Here's a pic of them on the car. (front end is up on jackstands...coolant on oil pan is due to thermostat change.)

Hooker Super Comps- Cleveland 4V.jpg

Eric,

I don't have quite the angle shot of yours but here is the Super comps on mine. The Pypes system mates up perfectly. I had new Hooker comps installed that you have but really wanted the parallel exiting ones so I yanked them off and installed the Super Comp ones.

Attached pic

IMG_3009.JPG

Eric,

I don't have quite the angle shot of yours but here is the Super comps on mine. The Pypes system mates up perfectly. I had new Hooker comps installed that you have but really wanted the parallel exiting ones so I yanked them off and installed the Super Comp ones.

Attached pic
J, my existing rusty ones in the pic above are the low, parallel exiting ones you so clearly defined as the Super Comps...right?...now you're cornfusing me. I'm just trying to clarify for Ray, who may be interested in the used pair.

Eric,

Attached pic
J, my existing rusty ones in the pic above are the low, parallel exiting ones you so clearly defined as the Super Comps...right?...now you're cornfusing me. I'm just trying to clarify for Ray, who may be interested in the used pair.
So here is another shot that I found that I have. If you look at the clearance on the drivers side you can see how much more clearance there is between the collector and the tranny oil pan. Also notice that the collector length is longer and the mounting flange goes beyond the tranny oil pan. Then take a look at Eric's picture and you can see his collector angles in and the flange is about even with the back of the pan. Besides primary tube diameters this is the major difference between the Hooker Comp and Super Comp headers. Header ground clearance is less with Super Comp headers and was one of the reasons I lifted the rear height a little.

Edit: If I remember correctly the header collector diameter is 3" for the Comp and 3.5 " on the Super Comp.

IMG_3010.JPG

Sorry to post in an old head, but im wondering if the hookers will fit my 4v heads. I just purchased a set based off the excellent product review on this forum. I know the 4v heads are different. Hooker 6915HKR Competition Header is the set I purchased. Thanks again. Oh and jbojo, do u mind telling where u purchased the x pipe.

Question for you guys on Ford Powertrain Application headers. I see a selection for only 2v/4v. What I don't understand is the 2v & 4v have different exhaust ports, do they not? What one are these built for, it seems to me they would be sloppy on the 2v's? I have a performance built 2v, and I would like to have high quality, but correctly built headers.

-Brandon

Question for you guys on Ford Powertrain Application headers. I see a selection for only 2v/4v. What I don't understand is the 2v & 4v have different exhaust ports, do they not? What one are these built for, it seems to me they would be sloppy on the 2v's? I have a performance built 2v, and I would like to have high quality, but correctly built headers.

-Brandon
I don't have those headers but the exhaust ports runners are different:

2V - 1.84" x 1.38"

4V - 2.00" x 1.74"

It appears they would be sloppy for a 2V head but I don't know for sure.

They just group them all together, to show availability, which is also why they show the wide range of years. When you order you specify the year and port size.

Latest posts

Back