Conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Oregon.

Not sure why you want the 4300D, they require a lot of care to keep them running. By converting an H code to a Q code you're obviously not worried about originality or concourse. You would have better spent your money on an aftermarket manifold and a good Quickfuel, Holley or Summit carburetor.
Read many blogs about the aftermarket intakes and OEM.  After carefully weighing the pros and cons, I made the educated decision to go with the original wide open OEM intake.  Got a great deal on eBay for one that was tested and reconditioned.

Hello and Welcome from Michigan. Ya, nice looking car in the photos. To bad you had that much stuff wrong when you got it, but sure sounds like you got it all fixed back up. Hopefully no more problems.
Thanks!  Still hava ways to go.  Work, family, house, etc......but I'll git'r done!

Hello from Mississippi. Even though that is not the original color, black just fits these cars like a glove. The urethane front bumper is another one of those Unicorn parts for our cars. None are being reproduced and finding decent used ones is becoming a challenge now. At least there is a chrome bumper option for those tired of looking for the urethane version.

It appears you have already done a lot of work to make this Mach1 road worthy. She sure looks great!

You'll find as a group we are more laid back than the 65-70 folks are. We respect that it's your car and you should "Decorate" to suit your taste. The only thing that would raise eyebrows here would be talk of Chevy powering a 71-73!!

Welcome to your new Mustang home.
Hey Miss-sippi!  Black looks great.  My only other preference would have been silver since it it so dang hot in Houston with the humidity and 9 months of summer every year.....but you have your fair share of heat there!  And yore right!  The 65-70 folks are a tad uptight!  And there is no way in hell that I would blasphemy my precious Stang with a stinkin GM engine!

Welcome home.  Looks like you caught the bug like the rest of us.  Great to see your passion for these cars.  Keep us posted and of course, more pics as you go.

Scott
Still working but hope to have the hooves on the ground by then end of January!

Hey Miss-sippi!  Black looks great.  My only other preference would have been silver since it it so dang hot in Houston with the humidity and 9 months of summer every year.....but you have your fair share of heat there!  And yore right!  The 65-70 folks are a tad uptight!  And there is no way in hell that I would blasphemy my precious Stang with a stinkin GM engine!
Uptight is an understatement.  Most of the 'vintage' guys around these parts are pretty cool, but haven't exactly been embracing me and mine, despite the fact that one of them even has a '69 Shelby GT-500 (where do ya think the inspiration for some major styling cues came from, anyway?).  One guy with a '69 Sportsroof he's owned since new is my new best friend at the car shows, so it's all good.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with making an H-Code your own - it's not like they didn't make more of them than just about any other, after all.

Can't wait to see this unfold!

:welcome:: from Germany!

Great you have finished the teething trouble! Like that color combo... ::thumb::
Thanks! Wie gehts es ihnen!
Thanks, Bobby :)
Mir geht es gut, Dankeschön!

Hope, you are well, too and keep up the work on your car. Keep us posted!

Bis bald, auf Wiedersehen ;)

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk

OMM

Happy New Year from WI.  I just joined today and have been cruising around the site and figured I would jump in here to introduce myself.  I have an original 72 droptop with the 351C 2V / FMX, but had to have a 4V with quench heads rebuilt for a bit more fun.  It will be mated up to a fresh C4 in time for the when the salt is washed away this spring. I use a few vendors on this site and I look forward to learning more ways and ideas in regards to keeping my queen fresh and off a trailer, so I can enjoy keeping her between the ditches.

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina.

You really jumped into your project. Now some questions for you? In 1972 & 73 Ford dropped the optional color of Black from the list of colors, too much hand work. You could however order black by a Special Order. If your car was originally black and a Mach 1 then the chrome front bumper is correct. They did not have the correct paint for the rubber front bumper. I hope you looked for your build sheet when you took the interior out. The build sheet will list any special build items on the bottom half of the sheet. Your DSO code will also be 6 digits, first two numbers are the DSO and last four cover the Special Order. If you order a Marti he cannot tell you the color of your car he did not get the DSO Special Order Paint & Trim info. He can get you a copy of the window sticker and invoice that will list the Special Paint order which is usually around $85.00.

I am interested to know what you find. I have a Black 73 vert that was Special Order.
Hey Carolina!  This stang was not a special order.  It had white paint out of Dearborn, MI.  Nothing special on the Marti Report.  Kansas City DSO.  Sold to Southtown Motors in KC.  It came with a FMX transmission but now has a fresh rebuilt C6.  I opted not to get the dealer invoice as the costs were mounting for the parts yet to come.  the latest fiasco was the shot wiring.  Tried to start it after 8 months on jacks in my garage and smoke came billowing out from under the dash.  I'm currently getting it rewired.  I could do it myself since I am a licensed electrician but am fed up and the Speed Shop that i took it to will have it out in a few days.  Then test the brakes then front alignment then inspection then license renewal.  I might be able to enjoy it in two weeks!

:welcome:: from Germany!

Great you have finished the teething trouble! Like that color combo... ::thumb::
Thanks! Wie gehts es ihnen!
Thanks, Bobby :)

Mir geht es gut, Dankeschön!

Hope, you are well, too and keep up the work on your car. Keep us posted!

Bis bald, auf Wiedersehen ;)

Gesendet von meinem E6633 mit Tapatalk
Almost finished!  New wiring for the entire stang in progress.  Will be testing brakes and getting an alignment soon.  Will be on the road soon after that!

Welcome from Oregon.

Not sure why you want the 4300D, they require a lot of care to keep them running. By converting an H code to a Q code you're obviously not worried about originality or concourse. You would have better spent your money on an aftermarket manifold and a good Quickfuel, Holley or Summit carburetor.
The rebuilt Autolite 4600Ds that have been rebuilt by Pony Carbs, now owned by Champion Carburetor, have been rebuilt with all its shortcomings engineered out. I want to keep the flavor of the 1970's intact.  The originality of this Mach 1 was already worked out by its previous owners.  The original 2V carb and intake were replaced by Edelbrock 4V carb and intake.  The color was originally white so very little was original.  The object is to make a damn good looking performer with the 70s tech.....albeit with a new Comp Cams roller cam, lifters and rockers......so on the outside, no one will know!

Yes - ixnay on the 4300D-ay. You can thank us later.

Lot more to a Q-code than just an intake and head swap.
No problem-ay.....the rebuilt 4300Ds from Pony Carb have all the inherent problems engineered out.  The rest will be accomplished with new Comp Cams kit with roller everything.....Will keep you posted.  The wiring is shot so currently getting that all replaced.

Hi Bobby

Replying here , after reading your rag joint post AND SEEING you spend most of your time on the introductions board AND ARE A GOOD AMBASSADOR !! (kind to welcome all that come)

We all have heard that the tilt column used a SPECIAL joint! MPC may indeed show that too. BUT the "difference" (if any) may have been the coupler. In any case, I use the Boss 302 (poly urethane) option from NPD. You have to buy by price not description. It's the $24.99 one NOT the $11.00 HELPS sourced rubber one.

You may want to wait til another comments BUT ALL of the options require reaming out to fit the Ford studs of the original joint. (maybe the world where everything is metric based in sizes today)

Mark

Hi Bobby

Replying here , after reading your rag joint post AND SEEING you spend most of your time on the introductions board AND ARE A GOOD AMBASSADOR !!    (kind to welcome all that come)

We all have heard that the tilt column used a SPECIAL joint!  MPC may indeed show that too. BUT the "difference" (if any) may have been the coupler.  In any case, I use the Boss 302 (poly urethane) option from NPD.    You have to buy by price not description.  It's the $24.99 one NOT the $11.00 HELPS sourced rubber one.

You may want to wait til another comments BUT ALL of the options require reaming out to fit the Ford studs of the original joint.  (maybe the world where everything is metric based in sizes today)

Mark
Hey Mark,

Sorry for the tardy reply.  I dont seem to be getting alerts that there are any posts or replies to my comments.

I had to get my steering column rebuilt.  I contacted West Coast Cougar since they had a YouTube video with their expert advertising easy rebuilds.  However, the old man doing the rebuilds retired.  They referred me to a fella in Missouri that did.  I contacted this guy and arranged to have my column sent to him.  He received it and did tell me that steering columns was only a part time gig and that he had regular full time employment.  Understood.  However, it took him 5 weeks to get it done which was about twice as long as he promised.  There were other issues as well but water under the bridge.  He did include, at my request a rage joint (I call it that because it was maddening trying to find one that would actually work!!)  Anyway he commented that it would not fit my gearbox and it was a one piece joint.  I figured that if it was put together, that it could be taken apart.  My precious Steed was in a speed shop getting rewired.....that took 4 MONTHS!!!  those guys ground off the rivets and cobbled together a Franken-Joint from that steering column portion to the gearbox portion that was already on my Stang.  Presto!  Now off to the next insurmountable problem!

Back