convertible top cost ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expect to pay at least again the price of the top. I've been installing convertible tops on my cars and for family and friends for 40 years. While it is something I think is do-able by the experienced DIYer, it can be a tedious job. The professional installation price will most likely vary quite a bit around the country.

Two of my cruise night buddies had their tops replaced 66 and a 69 Cougar. Prices went from $3600 to $3900 all in. Ouch!

You may want to get pricing with you supplying the top and them supplying the top. A lot of times the shop will either decline doing the top with your parts or raise the labor price if they are willing to use your material. Obviously, they buy the material at wholesale and sell to you at the retail price and have some profit there also. Here in Chicago, I have friends who paid total parts and labor $1200.00 (and it looked like it) up to $2900.00 (looked perfect) none of these were Mustangs but comparable sized cars (Camaros and Chevelles).

As good as I am with mechanical repairs on these vintage Mustangs, I draw the line with some repairs. When it comes to anything requiring an engine hoist, tranny jacks, or tall axle jacks, I do not have the equipment, much less strength I once did, to do work at those levels of demand. That work I will outsource. As for body, paint, and convertible work, I do not have the training, experience, or patience to do a top notch job. So I select a top end facility to do it for me. But, I also ask if I can take videos of the processes, or progress photos for long term projects. Thus far I have never been denied my requests. I get along with the techs doing the work because other than chatting about how used to do that kind of work, only to discuss approach, I stay out of the way of the techs. If they are pondering aa situation they often engage me in discussing Steps Next, and I gladly exchange thoughts. I have also wound up becoming friends with those techs, and they let me know that initially they thought I would be a bother to deal with, but later found I knew what I was talking about and appreciated hearing my old school perspectives on various issues. The point being, were I to get out vert top done, I would select a top notch facility and ask if I could be on site to video record the process for posting to YouTube. I doubt I would try to pull it off myself, just because...

Back