Convertible Top Hydraulic lines

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Hi All,

I am in the process of replacing my convertible pump and can't remember which side of the pump raises the top and which side lowers it. 50/50 odds, and I know I will put it together backwards and have to switch couplings after I have everything charged with fluid. :mad:

Does the hose connection on the same side as the electric wires raise or lower the top?

TIA

mud

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I am in the process of replacing my convertible pump and can't remember which side of the pump raises the top and which side lowers it. 50/50 odds, and I know I will put it together backwards and have to switch couplings after I have everything charged with fluid. :mad:

Does the hose connection on the same side as the electric wires raise or lower the top?

TIA

mud
Some pics that might help. An original car I had apart doing a deep detail and cleaning this past winter.

Thanks for the pics, but I can't follow the hoses to see where each attaches to the pump. I need to know which side of the pump connects to the bottom of the cylinder. I don't know whether this is the side with the wires or the side opposite the wires ?

It probably doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, because I could move the switch in what ever direction works, but I had it so that if I pushed the switch down, the top went down. If I lifted the switch up, the top went up.  :)

I made that mistake. If you reverse them there no harm. Up is down and down is up. The longer lines go to the bottom of the cylinders.

Does anyone know the amount of ATF fluid needed for a complete new system, ie: pump, hoses, 2 cylinders ?  They way not to overfill or to fill 75%. Know the amount to start with would give me a warm and fuzzy that I am good to go.

From videos I've seen, the plan is to fill the pump till fluid comes out the filling port (pretty much the same way I'd fill a crankcase on a lawnmower, etc), operate the pistons a bunch of times, add fluid to the pump.

I'm thinking that I would not add any more fluid after that if they seem to function OK.

How do I put the fluid in the pump. It seemed to be very apparent to remove a rubber plug, but that is near impossible to get out. So then I started to remove a bolt under it, but after I loosened it, it was REAL long, like it was holding the pump side to the motor side, so I stopped and put that back in.

I don't think I can get the rubber plug out without ripping it apart, so that doesn't seem right.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I use needle nose pliers. Grab one side of the plug and slowly start pulling up. This will elongate the plug making it "skinnier" and it will pop out. If its the original plug and brittle, it may not survive.

Does anyone know the amount of ATF fluid needed for a complete new system, ie: pump, hoses, 2 cylinders ?  They way not to overfill or to fill 75%. Know the amount to start with would give me a warm and fuzzy that I am good to go.

From videos I've seen, the plan is to fill the pump till fluid comes out the filling port (pretty much the same way I'd fill a crankcase on a lawnmower, etc), operate the pistons a bunch of times, add fluid to the pump.

I'm thinking that I would not add any more fluid after that if they seem to function OK.
You're on track.  I typically use a small funnel to keep spillage to a minimum.  Once you have the reservoir filled up to the fill opening, cycle the top up and down 4-5 times.  This should bleed most of the air out but don't be surprised to see a few bubbles in the lines.  You can continue to try to work them out, but as long as both sides are working in tandem, you're good to go.  Top off the fluid level as needed and put the plug back in.

It takes exactly 1 quart to fill the system with everything brand new.

Now promise not to roll your eyes as we go through this journey. :p   I had made up my mind that I never wanted to have another hydraulic leak that would ruin my new trunk or puddle under the rear seat again,  BUT.... I might have gotten a little carried away...........I'm just hoping that I didn't do more damage than good. The idea was to completely build a secondary barrier around the entire system.

Enclosing the pump was relatively easy.

P4230005.jpg

Enclosing the cylinders was a tad harder

P4230010.jpg

enclosing the tubing took multiple tries of buying different tubing. I tried rubber, but in order to  get it large enough to fit over the elbow where it attaches to the cylinders made it way too big to work. I eventually found some clear shrink tubing that was 3:1 shrink, so that 1-1/2" diameter turned into 1/2 diameter after  hitting it with a heat gun. The first tube looks like crap, but then I learned how to do the other three like a pro ::thumb::

P5230006.jpg

installed, filled , and operational.....let's hope I didn't waste alot of time only to cause more trouble than if I had done nothing :whistling:

P5250009.jpg

P5250011.jpg

P5310013.jpg

P5310015.jpg

P5310016.jpg

Back