Convertible Window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The General

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach I (Wrecked & Sold)
72 Q Convertible (The General)
Looking for some help.... New to me 72 convertible. Top is in good shape however the rear glass has come loose and fallen out. It appears that there was some type of adhesive on the zipped in window section of the canvas. Is there anyway to repair or do I just need to replace? Also the well liner needs to be replaced.

Any advice would be appreciated. Getting it ready for winter storage. THANKS

The replacement window comes with the material. I've heard you have to replace and cannot be repaired. The well liners are sold separate also. I'm not sure if the different top manufacturers zippers are compatible with all replacement windows. Maybe check with Don at Ohio Mustang.

There is no way to fix it I tried when I had the glass fall out and not break a long time ago. It is held into the curtain by a process that involves heat, adhesive and pressure. Whihc one cant duplicate. In the short term I put some plastic in there and stapled it up with some wood trim. Kept most of the rain out.

Some of the manufacterers windows may be interchangeable I do not know for sertain but I do know not all of them are. I have a window sitting aroundwith a metal zipper on it that will not attach to the current top in my car that has a plastic one.

You know that one commercial, where the guy yells out:

"PLASTIC IS FOREVER!!!"

That is so not true. Do not know how old the vinyl sheeting is on your rear window. But the fact it is not fresh and has been heat treated means that it is much different now than when it was made.

You may find the cost of replacing the window is just shy of replacing the entire top. Visit a few of your local upholstery shops and discuss it with them. You may find someone who may give you a discount during the slower winter season if they can take their time.

The glass window is far superior to the plastic in the long run.

Thanks for the help. I will research upholstery shops here in town. The top has some wear and could use replacement i was just trying to save some cash. Since I only drive it when the top is down, I am in no hurry. THANKS AGAIN

If the upper zipper on your top is in good shape, you may be able to only replace the window portion.

Make sure the zipper material of your new window matches the zipper attached to your top.

I did this job once 30+ years ago. Took about 4 hours as I recall. I installed the window backwards(Zipper started on the wrong side)...so I had to do it over again. At least when I finished, I was an expert.

Hello,

I picked up my 1973 Mustang convertible a few weeks back and finally had a chance to get fix the hydraulic pum. Long story short, my glass window fell out. Called a few places and everyone was quoting around 1500 to replace the top, pads and window. The window alone was like 250-300. This was money I did not want to spend. But I found a place that is selling a TAN glass window for 75. I ordered two for 200 shipped. I also went to Home Depot for a can of black Plasti-dip. I am going to see if I can brave through the winter and save up enough money for the a new black top.

BTW, the link to the place selling the glass window is:

http://www.johnsclassiccougars.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RCW-1&CartID=1

The only reason why he is selling them so cheap is because they are TAN and he is closing them out.

Back