Coolant leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmach

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
76 Australian Ford Falcon XB
Hey gang, looks like I've got a leak coming from the thermostat housing where it joins the block (351 Cleve). I've got coolant pooling around the MSD distributor. I used an O ring instead of a gasket when I changed the thermostat. I'm going to go try and source out the proper gasket but any suggestions on using silicone or some other type of sealant goop?

I have had good luck with Fel-pro paper gaskets.

Make sure thermostat housing is not warped, you can lay a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and sand it down a bit.

X2 good gaskets and flat surfaces are key. I've had good results with Permatex black adhesive silicone also 3M super weather strip adhesive for stubborn places.

Thanks guys, I'm not going to tackle this till the spring but I want to get the stuff I need. Thx for the advice.

"Right Stuff" is very expensive but is second to none in my opinion. Comes with 2 tubes and a gun (like a caulk gun, which makes applying easy and accurate) Everything i have ever sealed with it has stayed leak free and ive been using it since 03 when a guy i worked with introduced it to me. Its like 36.00 for the set here last time i checked but you can do many many projects with the kit. Ive seen it at most auto parts stores. Like said above TWO perfectly clean surfaces is key. I also always use brake clean to remove all grease and other crap since it leaves no residue but be careful because I have heard it can eat paint.

Good luck!!!

i ground the housing down until it was perfectly flat and then used silicone and the paper seal. no leaks till now

i ground the housing down until it was perfectly flat and then used silicone and the paper seal. no leaks till now
I also used both the high temp. silicone and the paper gasket and havent had a leak.

I also used both the high temp. silicone and the paper gasket and havent had a leak.
I'm guessing I can get the gasket and silicone at NAPA?:huh:

I'm guessing I can get the gasket and silicone at NAPA?:huh:
Yes you can

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=themostat%20housing&N=599001+101971+50026+2026026+4026026+5999999&Ntk=Keyword

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=permatex&Nao=10&Nty=1&N=0&Ntk=Keyword

Latest posts

Back