correct 4300 carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mac 1
I posted about blocking off the EGR passage (below) and using the Edelbrock carb I have now until I change the manifold to accommodate it.

I have considered getting the correct 4300 carb and bolting it to the stock manifold. Other than the cost, if I do that what other parts should I be looking for on my vehicle? By that I mean, what parts might have been removed in the process of changing the carb years ago to an aftermarket carb that I may now need to make the 4300 work?

What is the correct 4300 (I have a 73 CJ with an automatic transmission).

The one I have seen for sale most often bears this number : D3ZF-9510-MA.

Does the 4300 have a port for the PCV hose (as the Edelborck does now) and is installation straightforward?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have the same car...the carb you list is correct. Install is straight forward and it does have the PCV port on the back. Here is a pic of mine installed.

20zv91i.jpg

Jeff,

I have the same car...the carb you list is correct. Install is straight forward and it does have the PCV port on the back. Here is a pic of mine installed.

20zv91i.jpg
thanks Jeff. There are a few lines I don't recognize on my car now. For example, the steel line going to the choke. Is that because that is not an electric choke? (correction - see it is electric. I assume that line provides hot air to get the choke warmed up more quickly? I never checked but my manifold must have those two ports where you have that line hooked up as well as the line with the braided cover on it).Also, the vacuum solenoid on the back. I don't have that now although I do have one at the distributor itself.

I'm trying to see what other bits and pieces I might be needing to make this carb work correctly before I take the plunge. Jeff, do you have the EGR spacer below the carb still? (actually, that vacuum solenoid might be an EGR valve? If so, I don't have one and my plate is blocked off at that port.Can I just leave it that way?) thanks for the help.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

The steel line going to the choke is for hot air as you thought. The braided steel line hooks up to the back of the carb where you see the plug on it (the pic was before I finished with everything). I have the EGR spacer and everything as stock since I am restoring to as new condition. I believe the solenoid at the back of the intake is for the EGR. Here is a vacuum diagram for your car on how it all hooks up. If you need more technical info on how this all works, I would PM 72HCODE as he knows his stuff.

ve3qjp.gif

Back