73 H Code Convertible Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheel looks great! If you don’t mind sharing your expertise, what did you use to patch the cracks and how did you achieve the woodgrain finish?
I have a rimblow wheel that I would like to restore in the future , I feel confident in doing so but need knowledge of how to restore the woodgrain.

Today was the big day to get the rim blow wheel installed into the convertible after refurbishment and color change to avocado. I am really happy with the way this turned out! Here’s a photo of the two spoke wheel compared to the three spoke rim blow.

Attachments

• IMG_7136.jpeg
    IMG_7136.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7142.jpeg
    IMG_7142.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7152.png
    IMG_7152.png
    13.4 MB · Views: 0
The wheel looks great! If you don’t mind sharing your expertise, what did you use to patch the cracks and how did you achieve the woodgrain finish?
I have a rimblow wheel that I would like to restore in the future , I feel confident in doing so but need knowledge of how to restore the woodgrain.
I can tell you what I did with this wheel but don’t conflate my results with any kind of expertise on my part 😀. I did some trial and error on an old practice steering wheel I had and decided to use what worked best there for my rim blow wheel. I used JB Weld two part plastic epoxy putty for the big separation on the wheel at 12 o’clock. It was manageable, cured nicely, and could be shaped/sanded easily. It also accepted the dye I used to change colors from black to avocado. I used a liquid two part epoxy for the smaller cracks in the wheel and to cover the chrome 1/8” tape around the circumference of the wheel. A rotary tool is really handy for grinding down the high spots on the epoxy. I used 220 and 400 grit paper on the plastic of the wheel itself for prep. Be very gentle with that process! The plastic is pretty soft. For the woodgrain, I used a walnut wood stain and a couple of different sized artist brushes to paint in a woodgrain effect on the wheel. That was the one of the last things I did on the wheel prior to clear coat. The epoxy ring over the chrome trim tape around the perimeter of the wheel was the hardest part of the whole process for me. Replacing the rubber rim blow switch was done after final clear coat. Patience is definitely a virtue for this project. Let everything cure fully for each step and avoid taking any shortcuts. Here are some of the supplies I used. I ordered the 1/8” chrome tape from a vendor on Etsy for about $8. I could not find the Plastic Weld locally and ordered that from Amazon for $9.

Attachments

• IMG_7153.jpeg
    IMG_7153.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back