Cowl intake to heater box radius

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcloutier0722

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible ("preserved" original)
1988 Mustang 5.0L LX Convertible
"Drive 'em, don't hide 'em!"
Any one here happen to know the radius of the cowl intake lip to lip?

The one thing that seems ALL mustangs were prone to even when garage kept was the rusting of the cowl in this location. It's no where near opening it up for that $$$ replacement but I have a few ideas for "macguyvering" it for a few years if not longer.... One small crack opened up that area and a weeping of water occurred during an sudden downpour. I was able to seal it and it no longer leaks but I want to prevent further decay down the line. I was able to fill the lower section of the cowl with flex seal liquid and some woolwax undercoating but I want to increase the height of the intake as some of it has rotted away but no water is getting into the box. ( except when dummy was washing out the acorn shells). Drivers side is clean and even after the flex seal, the passenger side freely passes water.

This is a fair weather car but the occasional downpour does occur and I'd hate to mess up the pristine passenger compartment.

TIA

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 3
I know this is not what you are asking for, but it may be a way to get to the cowl vent and fix it without having to do major surgery. Look at this video:

Thanks. It's always good to know what the options are going into the future. It's a shame we couldn't turn back the clock 50 yrs to say " hey keep it clean and may put some undercoating down there"

Thanks. It's always good to know what the options are going into the future. It's a shame we couldn't turn back the clock 50 yrs to say " hey keep it clean and may put some undercoating down there"
That is exactly what I did before I put the engine back in last year. I was lucky to only have very minor flaking going on in there so a putty knife and forced air cleaned her up before I sprayed her with flexseal. Had to jerryrig a hose from the can nozzle to get into the upper corners, etc., but it worked out well except the one shot that when the hose came off and tinted my my windshield. After I pulled my head out of my keister and covered the ‘shield, it was a easy and satisfying project.

Attachments

• AA51E385-E8B3-4ECE-A532-D079672693E4.jpeg
    AA51E385-E8B3-4ECE-A532-D079672693E4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 2B9590D7-3B01-4852-B883-4F23F78F0ECF.jpeg
    2B9590D7-3B01-4852-B883-4F23F78F0ECF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Back