Custom Exhaust tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackinBlack71

Reaction score
My Car
I have just purchased my first Mustang which is a 1971 coupe.
Hey guys I designed and built a pair of exhaust tips to resemble the early mustangs and later years and I'm looking for some feed back. So let me know what you think i would greatly appreciate it!

IMG_20140927_132109_281.jpg

IMG_20140927_132115_302.jpg

IMG_20140927_132125_870.jpg

IMG_20140927_132135_608.jpg

Hey guys I designed and built a pair of exhaust tips to resemble the early mustangs and later years and I'm looking for some feed back. So let me know what you think i would greatly appreciate it!

They look very nice but are they not to heavy(weight)?

:p

each weigh a pound and 13-14 ounces. and thank you there going on a 71 coupe project car that i bought last year. I have more pictures but i haven't downloaded them yet from the iPad ill have them up either today or tomorrow.

IMG_20131010_181126_272.jpg

Very creative! Will look good if mounted correctly.

Would have been cool to follow the trapezoid shape of the taillights.

thank you! im dying to mount them but i have a long way to go. and i was thinking og making another set to see how it would come out but personally i love this look its gonna b hard to change it.

Will they go through, halfway through, or under the valance?

Will they go through, halfway through, or under the valance?
Under the valence always looks funny to me - unless it turns down like factory exhaust did. I think it would look cool to have valence cutout surrounding this custom design. -Cutout and bead/roll the edges.

Ray

Here is one (modded) setup I really like

Hot Rod Pegasus rear pic.JPG

Here are some non stock ones that look wrong - not always terrible - to me. This convertible with the oval tips don't look too bad, but still out of place. Obviously a modded car.

71 72 Mustang conv non stock exhaust pipes.JPG

These look like a quick add-on.

1971ConvertibleRear non stock exhaust pipes.jpg

I would prefer they are shorter and turn down just inside the rear edge of valence like the Boss cars and for other 71-3's. That gives a very nice and clean look to the rear of the car.

Boss 351 rear.JPG

Of course exhaust tips with the cutout valence is cool too...

1971-mustang-mach1-rear exhaust tips.jpg

Ray

well im planning on working a way to have a cut out that matches the tips and fits the car. i want them to look custom but that they we always meant to be there and not just thrown together.

I think they are excellent and I like your project. I need to make a very similar one for my 71. The shape would be only slightly different. I went with something that is shaped more like the tail lights on a heavy angle to fit into the rear valance ports I designed.

Wow, look at the horrible stripe placement on that first red one...
I think that's what happens when you put the decals on before you install the trunk weatherstripping.

I think that's what happens when you put the decals on before you install the trunk weatherstripping.
Not a correct stripe for a convertible - but yes, very sloppy work even for a mod.

Ray

Latest posts

Back