New from Texas here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Chicago! It looks like you are on the right track, fresh fluids and fuel is the best first step to starting something that has been sitting that long. I would also prime the engine oil after you fill with fresh oil. Also, like Sheriff mentioned look for any rodent damage to the harness and get that repaired if you can before you hook a fresh battery to the system. You always want to avoid installing the new battery and smelling smoke if you can. Also I am a fan of changing out brake rubber hoses when you flush out the brake lines and adding new fluid. The hoses close up internally with age and fluid sitting in them in storage, this will restrict flow and often make that area of the brake system not functional. You can drain the lines and removes the hoses and clean out steel lines with brake clean and a little air pressure. After that, install the new rubber hoses and add fresh brake fluid and bleed. Good luck getting her back on the road she looks like she will have plenty of giddy-up, enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the help and tips guys! Luckily for us, he kept every receipt for work he did, and he did have a journal for the car on how much invested and when he did the work. He really loved this car, and we’re super excited to get it running right again. I’m sure you’ll see us posting with questions, but it looks like he left us a pretty good starting point!

Welcome from West Texas. VERY cool, and I love the B&M Megashifter... although, after seeing how much of the center console was sacrificed for it, I'm glad I haven't gotten one for mine yet.

Welcome from Chicago! It looks like you are on the right track, fresh fluids and fuel is the best first step to starting something that has been sitting that long. I would also prime the engine oil after you fill with fresh oil. Also, like Sheriff mentioned look for any rodent damage to the harness and get that repaired if you can before you hook a fresh battery to the system. You always want to avoid installing the new battery and smelling smoke if you can. Also I am a fan of changing out brake rubber hoses when you flush out the brake lines and adding new fluid. The hoses close up internally with age and fluid sitting in them in storage, this will restrict flow and often make that area of the brake system not functional. You can drain the lines and removes the hoses and clean out steel lines with brake clean and a little air pressure. After that, install the new rubber hoses and add fresh brake fluid and bleed. Good luck getting her back on the road she looks like she will have plenty of giddy-up, enjoy!
Thank you!

Welcome from South Alabama. Very nice Mustang you have there. Congrats.

Back