dash cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know there is no real trick to getting the cluster out - remove screws, disconnect speedo cable and unplug main wiring connector. I believe that the cable and connector are held in with a plastic clip that you need to feel around for and depress to release. Unfortunately I do not have a main connector to get a picture of.

Your Glow-shift tachometer appears to have an electrical issue. My first response was to check the cylinder count setting but I see you did all that. Not having any experience with those I hate to guess, but since you have no odd ignition bits such as an MSD or HyFire I would put my money on a bad tach.

I have been selling my tach conversions for over 6 years now and the only problem I ran into (once) was a noisy system that made the tach needle jump & twitch. In that instance the customer had to install an SN20 inline filter that cost about $20.

My tachs have been hooked to single points, dual points, Pertronix, Duraspark, Mallory Hi-Fire and MSD systems with no issues. My Cougar tachs are the same electrically and are sold by West Coast Classic Cougars and Mustangs Unlimited direct to the customer so Lord knows what else they have been hooked to that I never heard about. If an Autometer or VDO tach will work on it mine will.
Thanks again; all the info you have supplied has given me some confidence to buy one of these so I reckon you will be getting an order from me shortly, probably using the "send core later for a refund" method.

I figured it was probably a faulty glow shift tacho that I'd bought, so that one will probably end up in the bin.

BTW, I live in a city called Bendigo (population about 100,000), which is about 100 miles North of Melbourne.

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally!!!! A simple solution to adding a factory tach!

I will be sending in a core in a couple of weeks.

You're gonna sell a ton of these.
Thanks Tommy. I sure hope so!

I see you are in CT - will you be going to the Mustangs Unlimited show July 10th?
Possibly. It will depend on my son's baseball schedule.

If I were to provide an Autometer Sport Comp tach and the cluster would you be able to do the conversion?

Would you PM pricing?
Sorry Droptop, the movements I use were made specifically for my needs. By the time I got done cutting up your AutoMeter and making adapters for it (assuming it would fit) you'd be into it for more than one of my movements - and you'd have no warranty. I think you'd be better off to keep the AutoMeter intact and maybe sell it.

I make tachometer that uses the warning light cluster and matches the speedometer. It is a modern three wire hook-up so if you're running an MSD you won't need a tach adapter. You can see it here: http://www.rccinnovations.com/Mustangs.php just scroll down to the M7123S tachometer.

b67gqu.jpg

Bob
Just placed my order for this; can't wait!!

Back