Dead in a parking lot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mach1

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code
Went to get a haircut, after about 15 minutes I realized that I left my lights on. Turned them off. Ten minutes later I tried to start. Starter turned but kind of slow. Tried again, the third time sounded really dead so I turned the key off. Here’s where it got weird… the starter keep trying to turn over, intermittently and very slow about 4 times. Called my neighbor for a jump, while waiting I figured I’d try again. 0 electricity. Not even the dome light would come on. Neighbor arrived. Tried to jump (correct cable orientation triple checked). When we hooked up the last ground the motor tried turning over one last time. The ignition was off and keys on the seat! Within seconds the cable at the ground started smoking. Quickly pulled it off to find the cables overheated.
Where do I even start? I’m a backyard mechanic that only knows enough to be dangerous, but if there’s some simple things that I can check, I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
John
‘71 351c 4v

I would check the starter solenoid next to the battery (in addition to getting your battery checked). It sounds like the solenoid has went bad to me. I carry a spare in the trunk just in case. Good luck.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Ended up getting it towed, and have to get ready for a week of out of town work. Will certainly try it next weekend. Thanks again.
John

The solenoid probably stuck. I have had many stick when battery gets low. I don’t know why it does it but it seems to happen a lot with an almost dead battery. You crank the motor and even after you let of the key, the motor keeps cranking. I have even had to pull the terminal.

Guys, just wanted to say thanks. Y’all hit the nail on the head. I’m back on the road. Thank goodness for easy/cheap fixes.

John

Back