Deluxe seat belts singled out on Marti report?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code, light pewter 4 spd. ram air, no stripes, no spoiler, deluxe or sport interior needs compete restoration .
My 71 mach came with the sport interior and I for some reason assumed that that also meant it came with the deluxe seatbelts. When discussing seat belts with Python company I was informed that they were a separate option from the sport interior and unless singled out on report it would have came with the standard belts. Is that the consensus of this group? I want to make sure I put the correct belts in. thanks...

My 71 mach came with the sport interior and I for some reason assumed that that also meant it came with the deluxe seatbelts. When discussing seat belts with Python company I was informed that they were a separate option from the sport interior and unless singled out on report it would have came with the standard belts. Is that the consensus of this group? I want to make sure I put the correct belts in. thanks...
Yes they are a separate option my 72 has sport interior and has standard belts.

Hello Frankenstang71,
The deluxe seat belts were standard only on the '71-3 Convertibles and were not part of any interior package or option group. The deluxe belts were a stand-alone option on any hardtop or sportsroof models. The $17.00 deluxe seat belt option on '71 and '72 Mustangs built before 12/1/71 included a round "BELTS" warning lamp on the driver-side lower dashboard.

After 12/1/71, the Government-mandated passenger side mounted "Belts" warning lamp, along with a buzzer everyone hated, became standard. The driver-side warning lamp was deleted after this change was made. The deluxe belt option on these models was now $15.49. The new lamp was a January '72 Federal requirement for all body styles, along with several other safety and emissions-related items. Our Government was pretty busy protecting us from ourselves while spending our money!!

To add to Steve's post, the Deluxe belts were color-keyed to the interior with the brushed stainless buckles, color keyed webbing and color keyed components ( retractor housings, bolt covers etc). Black and white interiors received black belts with the brushed buckles.

Standard belts were all black with black plastic buckles.

MB Wilson posted a pic of his Python-restored Deluxe Belts

1694626254633.png

Last edited:
The seat belts in my '71 (with standard white interior which made it a Marti holy grail one of one.... were not black (ok, maybe from years of abuse and leaking convert top fluid in the back seat area, lol). These are the before and after pics on my restoration...

Attachments

• 71 Vert Seatbelts Pre Restoration.jpg
    71 Vert Seatbelts Pre Restoration.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 71 Vert Seatbelts Completely Restored.jpg
    71 Vert Seatbelts Completely Restored.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you all for confirming what python told me. I almost made a big mistake. Now to find a nice set of standard belts. Bryan

Back