DETAILING THE UNDERSIDE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,

Looks great. I am at same stage with mine. Can you let me know what you prep and paint with after cleaning is complete?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff,

I use s.e.m. rust shield FLAT BLACK no hardener..wire wheel..scrape etc. wipe down with s.p.i. waterborne wax & grease remover..let dry 1 hour..then apply rust shield using foam brushes & foam rollers..2 or 3 coats your choice..I did my 71 camaro this way 3 years ago & the underside still looks like the day it was done !

http://www.semproducts.com/product-catalog/rust-and-corrosion/rust-shield/

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Product%20lines.htm

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Product%20Info/waterborne%20Wax%20&%20Grease%20remover.htm

Got the tank prepped yesterday..sand scuff with 100..spi w&g remover..1 coat of rust bullet next scuff with 320 then eastwood tank tone

Also purchased the stock style exhaust hangers..although the pypes system comes with hangers they are the generic type ..scuffed those with 220..w&g..than seymour cast blast

101_0273.JPG101_0274.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ready to install the new exhaust...

Hope the rain holds off..So a few tips on the gas tank...I install some deadening isolation pads on the top ...then I use window seal (home improvement store) to line the inside of the straps..

101_0289.JPG101_0287.JPG101_0281.JPG101_0283.JPG101_0282.JPG

Ready to install the new exhaust...

Hope the rain holds off..So a few tips on the gas tank...I install some deadening isolation pads on the top ...then I use window seal (home improvement store) to line the inside of the straps..
Now that's a smart idea right there. I may hijack that (with your permission of course!) when I drop mine here in a few weeks before I tackle my rust issues.

Grade A work, keep those pictures coming!

Ford had pads on the top of the tanks - it was a tar / asphalt based material - Would not hold moisture , looked like roofing felt but way thicker.

Those two areas on the bottom of the trunk floors are always cleaner when pulling tanks on the parts cars.

Nothing on the straps though - since you coated the straps.

Make sure the tank is grounded.

Don,

Any advice on how to replicate the factory asphalt pad on the top of the tank? I have heard the same that it is alot like roofing felt. Do you have any that indicate the thickness of the material from parted out cars?

Brian...sounds like what you describe could be the same as tar/asphalt sound deadener under the carpet. Did you try looking in the body shop manual?

Jeff

Any advice on how to replicate the factory asphalt pad on the top of the tank? I have heard the same that it is alot like roofing felt. Do you have any that indicate the thickness of the material from parted out cars?

See if Don at Ohio Mustang Supply might have a slice/piece he could send you. Take that to a local roofing supply company and see what they have that might be close.

Good luck.

Ray

I am looking for assistance in identifying the paint codes on my leaf springs. The springs are from a 73 convertible H code with a C6 and nine inch rear, No comp suspension. As you can see in the attached pic, Red is obviously the one color, but the second color could be yellow, (dirty) white or cream. I don't have a legible build sheet to cross reference. Anyone with a similar car that can confirm the color codes would be greatly appreciated.

20150905_114513.jpg

According to the book I have it shows...

76D...351 2V without handling...1 orange 2 violet

76D...351 2V with handling...2 orange

You sure the springs are original to the car?

Maybe someone else has info that shows different markings but this reference has been correct in the past.

Curious what you find out.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for your help. To answer your question it is entirely possible the springs were replaced early in the cars life. Another mystery to solve. I suppose the colors could have changed pigment over the years effected by years of rust and some WD 40. Who knows.

Next will be the front springs and driveshaft markings.

Thanks again.

Back