Determing "numbers matching" on our cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there guys!!.. Interesting thread on here... I´ve heard a lot of versions about matching numbers cars... Mostly because besides the all know engine, trans and body... Judges in this cases checks dates and i believe someone in here posted a vid of a cougar and in that video, the guy said that a correct part for a car must have a date that were close enough from the production date... I believe the gap was a year...

Now as most of you know i have a basically matching everything car because it was unmolested till i got it in 2009... Howeveri have some parts dated in 69 and my car is a 72...

Could that happen because my car was an embassy order and an export car?
Maybe!! Or sence your i6 is a rare order they ran out of parts for it and grabbed out of a old bin... I think now that they are so anal about dates on even head bolts..They are going to find a number of fords that have odd parts or older... if they ran out of parts in the factory and need to get a car finished..Throw a old part on a car who will know? till 40 years later..lol....Take my car...I got a J code on my warranty plate....Yet according to judges and such and mustang sites....There should be no such code on my plate..Yet there is...and its original and matching serial and its not a miss print...So some one custom warranty something on my car..And the data is lost in time...Even marti doesnt know...And tried and tried for the last 8 years to track down any info on it...nope..lol

Hey there guys!!.. Interesting thread on here... I´ve heard a lot of versions about matching numbers cars... Mostly because besides the all know engine, trans and body... Judges in this cases checks dates and i believe someone in here posted a vid of a cougar and in that video, the guy said that a correct part for a car must have a date that were close enough from the production date... I believe the gap was a year...

Now as most of you know i have a basically matching everything car because it was unmolested till i got it in 2009... Howeveri have some parts dated in 69 and my car is a 72...

It depends if we're talking date code or part number. I believe the accepted time span for date code, such as the 0K30 used earlier, is about 2-3 months. If we're talking part number, such as a C9OE on a fan pulley or something, that is possible because it just means they haven't changed the part since then.

Steve

It depends if we're talking date code or part number. I believe the accepted time span for date code, such as the 0K30 used earlier, is about 2-3 months. If we're talking part number, such as a C9OE on a fan pulley or something, that is possible because it just means they haven't changed the part since then.

Steve
Great Steve... that is exactly what i was talking about... I found a lot of C9++ parts and i just wondered why was that...

Thanks!

Ford did and still does some weird stuff with parts. For example my 2008 F150 (I bought new, 7 miles) had a 2009 style pickup box/bumper on it. After ordering a 2008 receiver hitch that didn't fit the parts guy was insisting it would and even got mad about it until I showed him how it just won't fit without taking a plasma cutter to it. I ended up getting one for a 2009 model that bolted right on. IMO number matching is related to the Vin (motor, trans). I am pondering the numbers matching thing right now since I need to rebuild my 351c and seem to keep finding rebuilt engines for sale less than I can redo the numbers matching block for.

Latest posts

Back